Community discussions

MikroTik App

hgomersall
just joined
Topic Author

Having RouterOS boot faster

Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:06 pm

We have an unusual application in which a RouterOS based CRS210 is used in an appliance-like system. One problem we're having is switch takes too long to come up. Is it possible to configure RouterOS to optimise for boot time? We need almost none of the extra RouterOS functionality (over, say, SwOS).

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Having RouterOS boot faster

Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 am

If all you need is a switch, why are you using a router? I've never stopwatched it, but my Mikrotik switches boot very fast. The only way I have actually paid attention to it was during a reboot. Just happens that although I am 26 miles from home, I am remoted into a computer at home. From that Windows computer, I started a continuous ping to a device on the far side of one of my RB260 switches. I then rebooted the switch via the user interface. I missed one ping.
Fast enough?

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 am

A CRS210 is a switch.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:53 am

But the OP is apparently using RouterOS. My point was to use SwitchOS.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 am

That's not what you said.
In any case, there are several reasons to prefer RouterOS to SwOS, except apparently speed of reboot.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:23 am

Not according to Mikrotik:
Our CRS series combines the best features of a fully functional router and a Layer 3 switch, is powered by the familiar RouterOS.
(emphasis mine).

I will agree that as a router, it's pretty anemic, but Mikrotik marketed it as a router with switch capability - not as a dedicated switch.
I stand by my statement that if you want a switch, use a switch.

Quote from: https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS210-8G-2SplusIN

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:23 am

Sounds like you have never waited for a cisco to bootup? :D

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:25 am

Sounds like you have never waited for a cisco to bootup? :D
Let me go get lunch while it boots...

hgomersall
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:44 pm

If all you need is a switch, why are you using a router? I've never stopwatched it, but my Mikrotik switches boot very fast. The only way I have actually paid attention to it was during a reboot. Just happens that although I am 26 miles from home, I am remoted into a computer at home. From that Windows computer, I started a continuous ping to a device on the far side of one of my RB260 switches. I then rebooted the switch via the user interface. I missed one ping.
Fast enough?
I don't quite know how I missed this - I thought my post had failed, but apparently not.

It's taking ~30 seconds to boot from cold. Are you seeing it faster than this? I'm not saying this is objectively a long time, it's just too long for our application!

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:11 pm

It's taking ~30 seconds to boot from cold. Are you seeing it faster than this? I'm not saying this is objectively a long time, it's just too long for our application!
I'm at work (again), but if I remember this evening, I will power down one of my RB260 switches and stopwatch it from power on to passing packets (pinging a device beyond the switch).

hgomersall
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:16 pm

I'm at work (again), but if I remember this evening, I will power down one of my RB260 switches and stopwatch it from power on to passing packets (pinging a device beyond the switch).
Thanks!

mbovenka

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:59 pm

Are you running STP? Might be Spanning Tree blocking the uplink port.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:25 pm

Might be Spanning Tree blocking the uplink port.
Not just the uplink one, any port with egde set to anything but yes will wait for eventual arrival of BPDUs for a while before getting into forwarding state. RSTP is enabled by default but maybe it is not necessary at all in @hgomersall's app?

hgomersall
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:33 pm

Might be Spanning Tree blocking the uplink port.
Not just the uplink one, any port with egde set to anything but yes will wait for eventual arrival of BPDUs for a while before getting into forwarding state. RSTP is enabled by default but maybe it is not necessary at all in @hgomersall's app?
I think not - it's a trivial topology. So I can just disable RSTP and it might boot faster?

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Having RouterOS boot faster  [SOLVED]

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Well, RouterOS is very quick in comparison to HPE, Cisco and Juniper, but not instant. To achieve instant-on, you probably need a dumb unmanaged switch.

Disabling RSTP is probably the only way to make it quicker.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:48 pm

Yes. Strictly speaking the boot will take the same time but it will start sending/forwarding traffic sooner.