Community discussions

MikroTik App

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

What AP for wall mounting inside the office?

Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:30 am

Hello all, could you please suggest what would be the best AP for wall mounting inside the office? It is because we are lacking ceiling mounts and cabling, so I am looking at the next best solution.

The idea in general is to use CAP ac or CAP xl, but I am worried how the WiFi signal will propagate on the back of the device to cover room behind the mounted wall.

The current idea is to use CAP ac.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What AP for wall mounting inside the office?

Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:59 am

Do you have a floorplan?

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Do you have a floorplan?
Here it is, roughly. Still waiting for the actual plans. I have this + about 3x times the area with rooms below.
splan.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: What AP for wall mounting inside the office?  [SOLVED]

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:51 pm

The wAP AC doesn't look bad when wall mounted and provides excellent coverage. With brick walls, I would plan on 3 per floor just to insure 5ghz coverage.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:48 pm

The wAP AC doesn't look bad when wall mounted and provides excellent coverage. With brick walls, I would plan on 3 per floor just to insure 5ghz coverage.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD
Thanks. Does MikroTik publish antenna beam coverage? wAP AC has a metal backplate, so I presume coverage to the back of the unit is much lower compared to the front. I did install some wAP AC units, and they proved quality solution with great wide external coverage. Haven't tested the back fo the unit. I ask, because if I mount it back to back on a wall with wall in the middle.

SuvegesProfesszor
just joined

Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:01 pm

Hi all,

I have roughly the same question. I'm about to install a small home network using either wAP ac or cAP ac. The only problem is the AP should be mounted on a wall and should serve even a room behind it. Also it should look good :)
What are the suggestions? I was about to use wAP ac but it is unavailable right now here, and I am also a bit concerned about the coverage behind the cAP ac. The wall is brick, the room is about 20 sq m.

Hominidae

Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:30 pm

...the performance of the cap ac, when mounted on a wall is definitely minor to its performance in ceiling mount.
There is new cap ac XL model that promises improvement.
Did you consider to build yourselves a "dummy" ceiling mount (like a simple L-shaped construction)?

In general, the WiFi performance of MT APs is not superior with standard ROS drivers (wireless).
I swapped my cap ac (wall mounted) for a hap ac^3 (ugly) and the performance increased slightly...I now switchzed to wifiwave2 drivers and see double performance (around 550-600Mbps on 5G, compared to 240-280Mbps with default wireless drivers - tested with a samsung S20FE).

note that a wap ac or cap ac cannot move to wifiwave2 drivers.

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:52 pm

I now switchzed to wifiwave2 drivers and see double performance (around 550-600Mbps on 5G, compared to 240-280Mbps with default wireless drivers - tested with a samsung S20FE).

note that a wap ac or cap ac cannot move to wifiwave2 drivers.
I am amater that you see such an improvement. Whats with capsman support for wave2?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:54 pm

Until MT has wifi 6, I would avoid MT wifi.
I have used tplink eap245v3 for about 5 years and provides stable reasonable speeds.
I also now have the tplink eap 660HD and the difference is good connections through two walls ( longer range penetration ).

THe reason I would recommend the TPLINK eap245 is form factor. EVERY WIFI 6 business access point meant for the Wall is HUGE..
Mine is up really high on an entrance and thus not visible, thank god.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:57 pm

Here it is, roughly. Still waiting for the actual plans. I have this + about 3x times the area with rooms below.
How so, if you have rooms below (assuming a floor below) then one would have roughly 2X the area?

Do you mean 3 floors?

In any case very rough rule of thumb is one per floor but all depends on walls/structure and placement.
Sometimes it may end up being one per wing (covers two floors in one area and the other covers two floors at the opposite end).
Moving them in to the middle step by step, until you have the correct coverage for ends and middle..... etc. There is no right answer from us, it will take work at your end.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:06 pm

@Atomicduck —- for WiFi:
I suggest you consider the TP-Link EAP620 HD … you will get superb performance that is consistent and persistent … one on each floor of your venue. IMO Tik WiFi does not perform consistently and is very SLOW when compared to uptodate tech.

Hominidae

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:02 pm

I am amater that you see such an improvement. Whats with capsman support for wave2?
I am surprised myself...did not see that kind of performance with a v7rc last year.
However, no capsman fpr wifiwave2 (yet?).

I really hat bad experiences with latest v6 stable and v7 and standard wifi drivers (5G links simply dropping...a wifi scanner would not see these, while capsman still reported all interfaces as running (no, not a dfs issue, as I am on non-dfs channels only).
I actually ordered a couple of EAP 615wall and eap245 and went the wifiwave2 route as an intermediate as the new supply was going on backlog by the seller.
Now I am thinking, that I will keep it for a while longer.
Here is my speedtest (running against my local NAS with a 10G link):
Screenshot_20220126-142846_Chrome.jpg_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 am

Wow. Amazing. No can do in MikroTik, altho to be fair MikroTik is routing company primarily + they try to be the cheapest and most flexible option. So I guess their logic is that if you want ultimate speed you can get it, but for basic access and "normal" speeds, they are more than enough. I mean, 20-30 mbps is more than enough for browsing, terminals, even video calls, etc. Higher speeds are great, but the reality is that most companies have relatively small uplinks.

Hominidae

Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:35 am

I mean, 20-30 mbps is more than enough for browsing, terminals, even video calls, etc. Higher speeds are great, but the reality is that most companies have relatively small uplinks.
Do not get confused...Wireless speed and LAN/wired should be compared by a factor of 10. So this is a 60Mbps Lan/Wan link.
With Homeoffice and -schooling, literally everyone at home running multiple citrix sessions, a 30Mbps-LAN/300Mbps-wifi link is just about OK.
...for each person....now think of the need to have that 4 times, concurrently.
I am lucky as my main WAN is 1000/55Mbps, but my backup WAN is 50/25 (LTE) only...one immediately recognises the differences when the 2nd WAN kicks in.

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:38 am

I mean, 20-30 mbps is more than enough for browsing, terminals, even video calls, etc. Higher speeds are great, but the reality is that most companies have relatively small uplinks.
Do not get confused...Wireless speed and LAN/wired should be compared by a factor of 10. So this is a 60Mbps Lan/Wan link.
With Homeoffice and -schooling, literally everyone at home running multiple citrix sessions, a 30Mbps-LAN/300Mbps-wifi link is just about OK.
...for each person....now think of the need to have that 4 times, concurrently.
I am lucky as my main WAN is 1000/55Mbps, but my backup WAN is 50/25 (LTE) only...one immediately recognises the differences when the 2nd WAN kicks in.
Understood. I have 40/40 synchronous link on one big location, and it works really well. You can see that transfers are not that fast, but everyone communicates and use the internet without any issue. I guess it depends a lot on the users profile.