Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

New provider, cannot send SMS

Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi, I've been sending SMS through my SXT LTE6 for ages. I changed providers and now cannot send SMS. I have updated the APN and the SMSC. I've tried a couple of different APNs as there are multiple choices for my provider. I've tried with and without the SMSC filled in. My phone (same provider, different SIM) shows the SMSC as "+61418706700",145 so I even tried that. Any suggestions?

Any logs I can look at or any way I can look at the communication between mikrotik and the 4G modem? I couldn't see anything in the logs, except when I tried to send SMS too fast it said modem in use.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New provider, cannot send SMS

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:08 pm

Did you verify with your new MNO that subscription plan for your SIM card includes SMS service at all?
You can verify that the problem is tied to Mikrotik by using same SIM card in an usual phone and see if sending/receiving SMSes works there.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Had similar problem when changing from prepaid BE sim to monthly FR sim, also SXT LTE.
Home in Belgium I could send SMS.
In France roaming I could send SMS.

Switched to local FR sim for permanent setup and all of a sudden nada.
Turned out I needed to enable that option in my user settings page on their website.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:22 am

Did you verify with your new MNO that subscription plan for your SIM card includes SMS service at all?
You can verify that the problem is tied to Mikrotik by using same SIM card in an usual phone and see if sending/receiving SMSes works there.
That is a good question. I was presuming it does as it receives SMS but I don't think I've ever sent an SMS using it. It is a data sim provided by work. Interestingly this gets back to the previous conversation I had with you (and others) about the pain of having to climb on the roof to pull the sim out.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:13 pm

Interestingly this gets back to the previous conversation I had with you (and others) about the pain of having to climb on the roof to pull the sim out.

I just hope your hemisphere of residence is southern (or equatorial region), with winter pushing in in northern hemisphere climbing roofs/masts isn't fun indeed.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:44 am

Interestingly this gets back to the previous conversation I had with you (and others) about the pain of having to climb on the roof to pull the sim out.

I just hope your hemisphere of residence is southern (or equatorial region), with winter pushing in in northern hemisphere climbing roofs/masts isn't fun indeed.
Thanks, I am but it's November and freezing cold here. I'm just going to leave it for now and look for a cheap sim for sending SMS, or maybe look for an online SMS provider.