Community discussions

MikroTik App

xyuri
just joined
Topic Author

Is Mikrotik hAP lite RB941-2ND classic only for experts?

Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi,

I've configured the router, and it mostly works. There's one issue. Maybe I'll create a separate topic. But that's not what I wanted to ask. I thought I have a good understanding of how networks work. But looking at WebFig, it makes me think I know nothing. My line of work is server administration, devops, and web programming. Well, data link layer and below is certainly not my thing, but still... There's documentation, but it feels like it targets people who already know the basics. And by basics I mean not the basics of TCP/IP or something. But the basics of using RouterOS. For example, there's a list of interfaces. Which somehow contains bridge and pwr-line1. My understanding is that a bridge is a device (virtual or not) that has interfaces. A bridge itself is not an interface. And a bridge between what and what? And a power line... Can I connect to it over TCP/IP? Okay, there are interfaces, but what are their IPs? What I didn't see is probably some sort of conceptual overview. More introductory material, explaining concepts or something. Not just HOWTOs and reference documentation.

Also, it looks like RouterOS targets a broad range of devices and users. Which is probably the reason it's so... elaborate? Not sure if it's related, but let's say I choose the wlan1 interface, click Freq. Usage..., then Start, then Stop. And nothing happens. Is it not working because my device doesn't support something? Or I don't know how to see the results? When I click on WPS Accept button, again no response. Not sure what it's supposed to do.

You might say, "If it works, why bother with WebFig?" First, there is one issue. Second, maybe there are some features I'd use if I knew they exist. For example, with the old router I used port forwarding when I had a public IP. With MikroTik I don't really know how to approach this. Anyways, I don't have a public IP at the moment.

Don't take me wrong, it looks like a high quality product. I'm just not sure if I belong to the target audience. If I should consider buying other MikroTik devices in the future. To make it clear, I'm talking about home routers.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is Mikrotik hAP lite RB941-2ND classic only for experts?

Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:15 pm

Mikrotik adept since march.

There is a STEEP learning curve but once you get the foundation, a whole new world opens if you see what can be done with these things.
And it's not needed to learn all at once. Stick to the basics first, gradually add a domain you want to get more acquainted with.
E.g. I know these things are pretty darn good at advanced routing (BGP/OSPF/...) but I am not interested in it. For now. Maybe later.

Documentation is usually pretty solid on the ROS6-topics. For ROS7 it's work in progress (which does not mean there is nothing, some things are pretty well described there too).
Look for the Wiki pages.

What it comes down to: these devices are not easy. That's a fact.
But if you're able and willing to learn (especially willing), it can be a quite interesting journey.
My view... and I LOVE learning :lol: