Community discussions

MikroTik App

rodyeo
Topic Author

Propose Mikrotik to adopt TailScale VPN similar to ZeroTierOne VPN

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:32 am

Dear Normis,

I propose Mikrotik RouterOS to adopt TailScale VPN https://tailscale.com/ similar to ZeroTier VPN https://www.zerotier.com/ ... as TailScale is much easier to understand and deploy than confusing ZeroTier ... for newbie users... ;) Earlier a year ago I proposed ZeroTier and I thank you for taking my advise and got it rolled out! Now please look seriously into TailScale as it is the best so far easiest to deploy and get it working in a flash for dummies like me... :)

https://tailscale.com/kb/comparisons/

https://tailscale.com/kb/1139/tailscale-vs-zerotier/

Rodney Yeo
http://fb.com/rodyeo

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Propose Mikrotik to adopt TailScale VPN similar to ZeroTierOne VPN

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:31 am

Same as with zerotier, I propose to NOT implement 3rd party services. Implement functions, protocols etc. but not services. Service implementation will always require more attention from developers and will take their time away from fixing/developing basic stuff. We experienced it with paypal support (suddenly stopped working because paypal deprecated certain API and all customers who relied on it had to wait for mikrotik to quickly release an update). This will become more common as more services are implemented.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:12 pm

Same as with zerotier, I propose to NOT implement 3rd party services. Implement functions, protocols etc. but not services. Service implementation will always require more attention from developers and will take their time away from fixing/developing basic stuff.
I agree. Protocols and low level stuff: yes! 3rd part services... not so much.

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:27 pm

I have already suggested a solution similar to DMVPN
viewtopic.php?t=160274
and ticket SUP-65537
but i got answer:
Hello,
This functionality is available in RouterOS using ZeroTier.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:20 pm

Same as with zerotier, I propose to NOT implement 3rd party services. Implement functions, protocols etc. but not services. Service implementation will always require more attention from developers and will take their time away from fixing/developing basic stuff.
I agree. Protocols and low level stuff: yes! 3rd part services... not so much.
I agree too...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:55 pm

Dear Normis,

I propose Mikrotik RouterOS to adopt TailScale VPN https://tailscale.com/ similar to ZeroTier VPN https://www.zerotier.com/ ... as TailScale is much easier to understand and deploy than confusing ZeroTier ... for newbie users... ;) Earlier a year ago I proposed ZeroTier and I thank you for taking my advise and got it rolled out! Now please look seriously into TailScale as it is the best so far easiest to deploy and get it working in a flash for dummies like me... :)

https://tailscale.com/kb/comparisons/

https://tailscale.com/kb/1139/tailscale-vs-zerotier/

Rodney Yeo
http://fb.com/rodyeo
Rodney, you proposed zerotier, so I dont think that your a dummy or need tailsscale........ ;-)

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:52 pm

Mikrotik, please make support for >insert yet another proprietary vpn protocol>...

zandhaas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:52 pm

Once the container package is ready and back you can try to run tailscale as a container on your Mikrotik.
Tailscale delivers it as a container already for other platforms (i.e Synology)

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:41 pm

@rodney
I endorse your suggestion without any reservations

TailScale is very simply stated BRILLIANT .... WoW to the power of 10

A superb Video presentation of TailScale follows:
https://youtu.be/3QEZRpxfZp4

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:16 pm

On the surface both Tailscale and Zerotier look eerily similiar, except Zerotier for the home use has less restrictions (100 devices vice 20) and no subnet router limitations...
Thus I fail to see what the 'great' difference is between the two. Im not sure what ZT uses for its backend encryption but Tailscale uses wireguard, so what? Does this mean that Tailscale is significantly faster? Does Tailscale use the same RELAY to direct connectivity where possible schema at ZT (they call it UDP punching)?

In other words, unless Tailscale has some glaring advantages over ZT, not sure what the fuss is about.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:16 pm

@anav ,,,, unlike ZeroTier TailScale uses WireGuard as its foundation …. From a setup perspective TailScale is FAR easier to implement …. Apparently YOU did not look at the Video nor read their docs …… from a scaling perspective it is absolutely brilliant especially if one needs A REMARKABLE MESH that requires very little to no intelligence :D

Ideal for the home user with small needs and for the business the scaling and ease of implementation is beyond ridiculous … remarkable brilliant.

Spend the time studying the docs and do look at the entire video.
Objective video from a techie pov
https://youtu.be/bcRVkoeSN0E
Last edited by mozerd on Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:15 pm

Same as with zerotier, I propose to NOT implement 3rd party services.
I'd go half way, do implement 3rd party services, but as extra packages sponsored by those 3rd parties. After all, they are commercial services and support in RouterOS brings them new customers and money, so it would be fair to share some with those who help to earn it. MikroTik could use it to hire and pay new people to work on this, users would be happy to have every service they like, 3rd parties would have new customers, and everyone who doesn't care about any of that wouldn't be affected. Isn't it a brilliant plan? :)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:37 pm

Okay mozerd when I get time I will try to dig into it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:52 pm

So what it boils down to ... everything is same, but ZT is more configurable, but you like TS apps better? I don't think this is enough to implement a second service that does the same stuff.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:05 pm

From a scaling and ease of use perspective there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison Normis …. I am actually surprised by your comment. Techies who manage many dispersed users will love LOVE love setting up TailScale for their users and more importantly USERS will love the ability to communicate with all their devices transparently. The mesh that TailScale provides produces unparalleled performance that ZeroTier cannot at this time emulate.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:17 pm

Really depends on what you try to accomplish.
ZeroTier has some aspects in favor of TailScale, but also many similar features.

https://discuss.zerotier.com/t/zerotier ... scale/3800

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:56 pm

TailScale document that provides outstanding information.

How Tailscale works

If you have the patience to read this document .... an excellent learning experience.

NOTE: Using Tailscale for an open source or friends & family project? The Community on GitHub plan can get you up to 25 users, 5 devices per user, and 2 admins for free.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:07 am

Sorry, but how is ZT iPhone app difficult to use? There is one button basically. And ZT has excellent documentation too.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:31 am

Guess he gets payed to do tailscale advertising.
I don't trust anything written by a guy who can't read product labels anyway.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:22 pm

Sorry, but how is ZT iPhone app difficult to use? There is one button basically. And ZT has excellent documentation too.
ZT iPhone app is not difficult to use ..... but TailScale makes everything much easier from a management perspective when scale is required --- consider the 2 points of demarcation as a starting point because they are extremely important differentiators.

ZeroTier is designed to be a “zero-configuration” technology. A user starts a ZeroTier node without having to write configuration files or provide the IP addresses of other nodes. ZeroTier’s Virtualization Layer 2 (VL2) acts as the configuration manager. New nodes can be added to a ZeroTier network by sharing a computer-generated secret code, which must be entered by the user at connection time.

Tailscale makes connecting devices straightforward: you simply install and log into Tailscale on each device using your organization’s SSO identity provider. Tailscale manages key distribution, key rotation, machine certificates, and all configurations for users, which is very useful if any of the devices on the network belong to non-technical users.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm

[...] consider the 2 points of demarcation as a starting point because they are extremely important differentiators.

[... *] ZeroTier’s Virtualization Layer 2 (VL2) acts as the configuration manager. New nodes can be added to a ZeroTier network by sharing a computer-generated secret code, which must be entered by the user at connection time.

[... * ] using your organization’s SSO identity provider. Tailscale manages key distribution, key rotation, machine certificates, and all configurations for users, which is very useful if any of the devices on the network belong to non-technical users.
I'd prefer 2FA in ROS.

TailScale is just enterprise packaging over Wireguard. TailScale could theoretically be implement by some Mikrotik Script language - at the end of the day, TailSpin just updates firewall rules, certs, and send emails to end-user. The same cannot be said about ZeroTier – they do have their own protocol and broader SDN view, than TailSpin's narrow-focus on policy.

Importantly, you can run your own ZT instances without there services. Haven't tried, TL;DR, but that possibility makes ZT more palatable a zero-conf VPN, than a closed source TailScale that uses the same Wireguard Mikrotik already supports. Let's not get into bonding, since Mikrotik ZT doesn't support it with ZT yet AFAIK, but that be another key difference between ZT and TS.

So a -1 from me on this one.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:42 pm

After further analysis I've decided TailScale does not need to be integrated into RouterOS because YOU do not need it unless you had a VERY special purpose -- what is that special purpose? Subnet routers respect features like access control policies, which make it easy to migrate a large network to Tailscale without installing the app on every device. ... However, TailScale encourage you to install Tailscale directly on devices wherever possible, for better performance, security, and a zero-configuration setup

You can establish a TailScale network without involving MikroTik in any way shape or form and everything behind a MikroTik Router would probably work just fine with GREAT VPN performance. I state probably because I have not done extensive testing so there may be stuff that may need some further thought.

BUT for you skeptics following is the MAGIC of TailScale:

Install the TailScale App on your phone and it will prompt you to establish an account .... if you use gmail use it as one of the selections offered for your signing credential and TailScale will automatically create your FREE account and register your phone as well as create a phone VPN entry for you.

Now in your LAN/VLAN/Subnet select a device like your Synology NAS and install TailScale .... sign-in to your TailScale account when prompted and use your gmail account again ... now TailScale will register your NAS and assign an IP address ...

Now go back to your phone ... turn off you wifi .... connect to your TailScale VPN using your cellular connection .... now select the app you use to look at the NAS remotely .... I use FE Explorer for example ... create a link to the Synology NAS that allows you entry and Vola you now have access to that NAS.

You did not have to remember any public keys etc --- TailScal does that for you automatically. ... and YOU did not have to reconfigure your MikroTik Router in any way shape or form. MAGIC :D

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:16 pm

So in order to get file from my NAS, I'll depend on not one (TailScale), but two (+Gmail) external services, while I'd preferably depend on zero. And that's supposed to be great?

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Ah, there we go, crap marketing at its finest.
See, because of people like you I will never even try tailscale.
Or any other product that gets spammed in this forum and other places.
Overselling some product is never a good sign, moab or cloutik or whatever 3rd party closed source miracle service that gets spammed here.
Some do it in signatures, some spam the forum, some both.
Best thing is that some of you don't even have any MikroTik Certs, yet you sell products for mikrotik devices and want people to trust your products based on ... what?
So please, stop spamming.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:43 pm

Its not spamming, and if you like wine so much drink it and keep your fingers away from the keyboard, because I actually find your whining noise far more irritating than lets say Mozerd attempting to describe why tailscale appeals to him.
If you have a contrary opinion then put forth your arguments aka something constructive otherwise, you appear to be a childish brat. Personally I like to have both sides or different angles in a discussion and then I can decide what aspects or functionality may be more or less important for any particular scenario. I understand what Sob is saying which is dependencies on external players is not necessarily a good thing. A direct VPN tunnel (aka wireguard) may be all the that one needs for example and no externals are required for that.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:44 pm

So in order to get file from my NAS, I'll depend on not one (TailScale), but two (+Gmail) external services, while I'd preferably depend on zero. And that's supposed to be great?
https://tailscale.com/kb/1119/sso-saml-oidc/

Nope, it all depends on who you select as your SSO provider. Each device you chose to join your TailScale vpn network must first be registered using your SSO provider .. once registered no further signin is required unless you want to manage TailScale …. Once you select the SSO provider that’s the one you stick with.

mhaluska
just joined

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:47 pm

@Znevna: ignore tailscale, try headscale https://github.com/juanfont/headscale. i think heads are scaling better than tails /s

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:48 pm

……. I understand what Sob is saying which is dependencies on external players is not necessarily a good thing. A direct VPN tunnel (aka wireguard) may be all the that one needs for example and no externals are required for that.
Security …….
From their WS
Tailscale also offers full end-to-end data encryption. A device’s private key never leaves the device, so Tailscale cannot decrypt network traffic. New nodes can be added to a Tailscale network by authorizing against your company’s SSO identity provider. The default configuration causes nodes to be expired from the Tailscale network unless they are re-authenticated periodically, which triggers key rotation. Optional device posture checking is also available, preventing devices from joining the network unless they are approved by company policy.
In Tailscale, administrators configure a central RBAC ACL policy so that network traffic can be precisely restricted. Although administrators can express access rules in one central policy, the policy is compiled into a set of packet filters, which are enforced by the individual nodes themselves, giving the security properties expected from a zero trust network.
Tailscale supports multi-factor authentication (MFA) through its identity provider integration.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:12 am

Ok, so I can have my own SSO provider (but I need Tailscale's Enterprise subscription to be able to use it). But it's good direction, one dependency is better than two. It's just that zero would be even better. :)

What I'm getting at, why should I want Tailscale as service? I can see how this kind of "clever VPN" can be useful, there's no problem there. But let's say I'm big company, why should I pay them per user per month (which can add up pretty quickly), rather than running such software on my own devices? It's nothing that should require too much maintenance. We have standards for regular VPNs, so there could be some standard for this too, manufacturers like MikroTik could implement it, etc. Of course obvious problem is if it currently doesn't exist, but it's the right way. But this doesn't really bother me, it's everyone's choice, outsourcing is popular, no problem.

What does bother me slightly, if I'm just home user and want to access my NAS from everywhere, then I shouldn't need anything like this at all. All I need is VPN server (any kind I want) on my home router. Yes, it's single point of failure, but if the router goes down, NAS connected behind it will be inaccessible anyway, because it won't have any internet connectivity. The only reason why I may need it is IPv4 address shortage and resulting inability to have VPN server on my router. So on one hand it's great that service like Tailscale can help me get around that, but on the other, don't they, in a way, sabotage long-term solution, which is getting rid of address shortage, i.e. getting IPv6 everywhere? Because if I can access my NAS using their service, what motivation I have to nag my ISP about IPv6? All I wanted was to access my NAS and I already can, so I'm all set. Screw IPv6 with all its problems, magic cloud was the right answer! But somehow I'm not very much excited about that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:15 am

But Sob the arguments you are making are valid vs Zerotier as well, which leads me to believe you see limited uses for both, whereas I was looking to parse out why one was better than another.
Also what is this new term being thrown about (SSO provider).

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:31 am

@Sob
No need for enterprise account to use SSO ….

Plus you have missed the entire point of TailScale … the ease by which one can set up a secure VPN that Performs well … ITS SO INCREDIBLY easy … that is the point. :D

@anav … SSO stands for Single Sign-On …. Your Gmail account credential is one example if you have a gmail account …. Could also by your Microsoft 365 Office account etc etc etc.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:15 am

But Sob the arguments you are making are valid vs Zerotier as well, which leads me to believe you see limited uses for both, whereas I was looking to parse out why one was better than another.
Also what is this new term being thrown about (SSO provider).
Nothing is better or worse. Just different. SSO is just a fancy word for a central directory that manages passwords for a set of services. e.g. the"Login with Google" button being an example" you can your Google's login creds at ZeroTier's website  – that's SSO. At a big company, they don't want to maintain many passwords to many system, there whole sub-category of software that integrates this login protocol with the authentication database.

IPv6...
Sob is right more ubiquitous IPv6 support push reset the button on firewalls not needing NAT. And, if you get rid of NAT, you just "unblock a port" – no hairpins or "forwarding" – allow or deny. Since a Mikrotik at a house isn't moving, thus has a "static" IPv6 address by definition. And most mobile providers hand out IPv6, so for the most part if you need to access your home network from a smartphone, IPv6 is pretty easy. Assuming the providers support IPv6... If that's access stuff at your house, IPv6 is pretty simple with no external dependancies... just not universally available like IPv4.

Wireguard...+TailScale
Layer 3 IP Only – so no L2 ethernet stuff or bridging – just routing. Fast, easy, prefect for tunneling between two devices. But WG is just a protocol, the original Wireguard paper deliberately leave key management schemes to the implementors of the protocol a la OpenSSH. So TailScale fills in the gap to link a SSO identity to the Wireguard keys, but that requires their own client on top of WG protocol. But with their client that making the WG connection, they can enforce whatever policy on the client they want. Why TailScale be pretty odd on MT – not sure Sob wants the cloud pushing firewall rules on his router – neither do I. So TailScale, from a classic OSI model, lives at Layer 4 or higher since it's WG under-the-covers.

ZeroTier
Different animal, operates at Layer 2 – so it can be just bridged, with ZT using a Layer 2 firewall in the cloud (e.g. no state, no NAT, just allow/deny). To me, it like a consumer friendly MPLS – anyway can create/join a tagged network, and it the protocol figures out the "right thing" to setup the parties in the tagged network. As a backup way to get into any Mikrotik, it's been pretty handy in V7. If my Mac, joins a ZT network that contains a group of Mikrotik's, they show up in Winbox's neighbor discovery – no hassle, if you follow MT's directions that just works. Still have VPNs/IPv4 statics in most cases, but ZT has been quite handy to get into winbox remotely.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:27 am

@Amm0 ….. you state the following: “ Why TailScale be pretty odd on MT – not sure Sob wants the cloud pushing firewall rules on his router – neither do I.”

TailScale does NOT PUSH firewall rules on MikroTik PERIOD ….

It’s very apparent to me that you have ZERO clue how TailScale works …

Learn …. https://tailscale.com/kb/faq/

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:40 am

@Amm0 ….. you state the following: “ Why TailScale be pretty odd on MT – not sure Sob wants the cloud pushing firewall rules on his router – neither do I.”

It’s very apparent to me that you have ZERO clue how TailScale works …

Learn …. https://tailscale.com/kb/faq/
I just saying my opinion based on a casual reading of their web site, and lessons from watching OpenFlow, which even Mikrotik dropped in V7 – but doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Seems unlikely to be support by Mikrotik. And, I have no need for a enterprise-ready, cloud VPN – regardless if it's "easy" – not sure I need to learn more. But I did read TailScales's comparison with ZeroTier, where Tailscale themselves say:
The bottom lineZeroTier and Tailscale both offer peer-to-peer mesh VPN technologies. They use different protocols to offer a functionally similar service. ZeroTier’s protocol is custom, while Tailscale uses the industry-standard WireGuard protocol for its data plane. Both products offer NAT traversal, and encrypted peer-to-peer connections, and administration dashboards.
ZeroTier and Tailscale are both outstanding alternatives to the traditional VPN, and both have great potential use in modern corporate environments.
Last updated Dec 23, 2021
In ZeroTier protocol doc to ZT designer's blog with original goals for ZT, quite the contrast from a SSO-based an approach. And with V7, there was long WireGuard since early betas, which is what TailScale repackages – so the bells-and-whistles of TailScale is what doesn't fit, IMO.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:48 am

But it would, if RouterOS itself would be a client, wouldn't it? From their description of ACLs:
The access rules you define for your network get distributed to all the devices in your network, and enforcement of the rules happens on each device directly, without further involvement from Tailscale’s servers.
Which makes sense, because if there's direct communication between clients, only the target client can do any filtering. I assume they don't reinvent the wheel and simply use client's firewall. It's perfectly ok, if you trust their server with keys and configuring links between clients, you can trust them with firewall too. And I'm not suggesting that I wouldn't trust their server, just that ideally I shouldn't need their server at all. I admit, I may be a bit anti-cloud, or perhaps cloudphobic, I'm not sure. :)

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:54 pm

..... But it would, if RouterOS itself would be a client, wouldn't it? From their description of ACLs:
You are still in control if the Tik become a client ..... however IMO and as I stated earlier in #22
After further analysis I've decided TailScale does not need to be integrated into RouterOS because YOU do not need it unless you had a VERY special purpose -- what is that special purpose? Subnet routers respect features like access control policies, which make it easy to migrate a large network to Tailscale without installing the app on every device

Sob, I do not like the Cloud either -- I try hard to avoid it IF I can :lol:

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Another very NICE video that explains TailScale

https://youtu.be/76XY8ncctkE

I dare YOU to watch it ....

So Sorry ZeroTierOne but IMO TailScale is FAR --- superior --- and the best part is that YOU do not need to make ANY changes to your MikroTik Router ... no changes of whatsoever nature ... no Firewall Rules to add ... no Firewall Rules to change and the best part is that its FREE for home use.

lopar
just joined

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:59 pm

TailScale document that provides outstanding information.

How Tailscale works

If you have the patience to read this document .... an excellent learning experience.

NOTE: Using Tailscale for an open source or friends & family project? The Community on GitHub plan can get you up to 25 users, 5 devices per user, and 2 admins for free.

Looks like serious security breach. Any user can ignore ACL and share that "ignoring" routes to other clients in network? Looks really bad.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm

Not really, each client has local filtering of traffic from other peers (that config is updated from TailScale's server). So if one decides to ignore ACL, it doesn't accomplish anything, because target peer won't accept it.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:15 pm

@lopar … @Sob provided the correct response ..
Following is what happens:

ACLs are enforced by the receiving node, not the sending node. Convincing the sending node to send a packet isn't sufficient.
If you are suggesting that traffic from 100.71.176.115 would be blocked from connecting to 100.81.195.172 but would be able to do so by bouncing through 100.105.14.79. That doesn't happen. Tailscale nodes do not forward traffic on to other Tailscale nodes. If two nodes want to send traffic they establish a direct Wireguard tunnel, not bounce through other nodes. That is how the ACLs work.

The example ACL shows an accept followed by two reject ACLs. Tailscale does not have a reject ACL. All access is blocked by default, you add accept rules to specify what should be allowed.

I suggest that you give TailScale a try and see for yourself how TailScale ACL’s actually works vs speculating …

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 pm

Still hitting the tailscale drums?
I'm so glad mikrotik decided to stop adding completly new features for now and that they only try to fix bugs with the current features.
Btw, the tailscale binaries are HUGE. Nobody considers this a problem for mikrotik devices?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:14 pm

If MikroTik decides to add TailScale client and its size forces them to make devices with more storage, I say go for it, it will be worth it for just this reason alone. :D

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:27 pm

you prefer a larger package sob? Its the weekend LOL.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:08 am

Right size for given purpose is the best. In this case, if it would serve as kind of Trojan horse (although it's quite unfortunate term, because the meaning related to computers is already taken) to increase storage, it's the bigger the better.

cata02
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:57 pm

I think TailScale support should be added to integrate with existing TS networks.
TS is gaining significant momentum as the good alternative to VPN and one very very useful use case is VPN to cloud VPCs.
In my tech bubble, I haven't seen ZT being used at all actually.

Imagine working on a high-value IoT project with cloud resources and tons of IoT devices; it might be a valuable use case to be able to very easily create a secure network spanning cloud+IoT; emphasis is on easy and on secure.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:00 pm

I think it shouldn't be added.
And you can run it in a container, can you not?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:22 pm

I think TailScale support should be added to integrate with existing TS networks.
TS is gaining significant momentum as the good alternative to VPN and one very very useful use case is VPN to cloud VPCs.
We have heard that about most VPN technologies by now. It seems there is always one more VPN that MikroTik REALLY have to integrate.
And once they have done so, and a few months pass, the second wave of requests comes in, to have the version updated because it is more and more lacking in features.

I have to agree with the above: when external parties want their VPN to be supported, let them deliver it as a container (as small as possible), and update that container at the rate they desire.
It should be possible in RouterOS Real Soon Now. Active work is being done on containers to facilitate use by VPN services (TUN device).
Hopefully that can finally end the long topics about "Please support YetAnotherNewfangledVPN" and the hundreds of +1 replies.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:28 pm

+1 for that post

:lol:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:32 pm

My point is that they adopted zerotier but it has limited applicability, not all MT devices can run it.
If tailscale can run on more devices, then it should be adopted if they are relatively equal otherwise.
Let the user decide which package they want to load!

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:45 pm

My point is that they adopted zerotier but it has limited applicability, not all MT devices can run it.
If tailscale can run on more devices, then it should be adopted if they are relatively equal otherwise.
Let the user decide which package they want to load!
There is an active Tik user [cannot remember his name] that is building a TailScale Container for Tik Devices ... however that is strictly limited to ARM based Tiks so currently very limited in scope. As I have stated before ZeroTier is IMO a waste of time and a very poor performer plus as you stated not all MT devices can run it.. ABSOLUTLY there is no question that TailScale is a very good WireGuard Management system.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:50 pm

What's wrong with the official container? https://hub.docker.com/r/tailscale/tailscale

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:17 pm

@Znevna
I was not aware of the TailScale official container [excellent] .. thank you for posting the info ...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:33 pm

Useless for me and my tile architecture :-(
perhaps I can host it on my hex device behind the router.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:18 pm

@anav
Pro Custodibus also have a Docker Container.
https://hub.docker.com/r/procustodibus/agent

and some very good info by Pro Custodibus on containers ....
https://www.procustodibus.com/blog/2021 ... ontainers/

I have no idea how this impacts Tik memory .... What I like about Pro Custodibus is their amazing and VERY helpful documentation ...

fornuftFTW
just joined

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:15 pm

I don't know if you've seen this, but I just tested it on my RB5009 and it works great!

https://github.com/Fluent-networks/tailscale-mikrotik/

I advise doing b on point 6. Make sure to edit build.sh and change the platform to the correct one (linux/arm64 for RB5009) and the Tailscale version to the latest.
Last edited by fornuftFTW on Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jangdong
just joined

Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:44 am

I don't know if you've seen this, but I just tested it on my RB5009 and it works great!

https://github.com/Fluent-networks/tailscale-mikrotik/

I advise doing b on point 6. Make sure to edit build.sh and change the platform to the correct one (linux/arm64 for RB5009) and the Tailscale version to the latest.
I installed it as a guide, the image is already running, but the tailscale management website doesn't show the node. Please share how to do, configure your tailscale container. Thank you!