Community discussions

MikroTik App

tryuys
just joined
Topic Author

Best VPN tunnel for SQL connection between 2 offices

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello,
I have to connect 2 distinct offices over the internet. Both locations has reserved Public IP. In the HQ there is a FTTB (100/100mbit) connection and there is a SQL server which hosts databases for accounting software named Comarch Optima.
In the another, smaller offcie (with only one person )there is GSM connection on LTE which is about 10/10mbps minimum.

Until now I have been using OpenVPN on the local computer and tried to connect to the HQ with OpenVPN for Windows client, but the application crashes. I suppose due to timeouts, as OpenVPN tunnnel is not fast enough ?

Now I would to connect theses networks with VPN at network level, there are 2 Mikrotik (with L4 license) routers on each side, with public IPs, even on GSM/LTE connection.
What kind of VPN do I need for optimizing SQL speed?
Any help would be more than appreciate...

regards

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best VPN tunnel for SQL connection between 2 offices

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:17 pm

Fastest is Wireguard if a VPN truly is needed. It claims to be 50% faster then OpenVPN.
But ... caveat ... only available in ROS7 version which still has not reached release state (however, Wireguard works stable as a rock on ROS7 !)

But I would first look into that LTE connection.
10/10 is really not that much. Besides, SQL connections can be really problematic for occasional ruptures of the link.

Proposal:
Is it possible to do remote desktop from the branch office towards the Main office using VPN ?
I already ran WVD to Azure on a measly 5mb connection (also using LTE).
Then there will be no disruption either if the line has an occasional hickup, everything will still work on the terminal server (or whatever remote desktop technology is being used).

ivicask

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:52 pm

I can confirm you, Wireguard is THE FASTEST for SQL from my own experience.
Also LTE is the worst for SQL :)

tryuys
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 pm

Wireguard is not an option here. There is a real need to have it privately, according to law.

Yeah, I thought about that LTE... But I can't do nothing. There is a very old building and there is no cabling here. That is extraordinary config.

Unfortunately WVD / AVD isn't an option here now. And yes... I am using RDP from the HQ, but for another users... :)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:37 pm

2 mikrotiks under your own control and wireguard. How more private can you get it ?

tryuys
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 am

hmm... may I don't know many about wireguard...
Will check that, thank you for your patience :)

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:50 am

Though running 7.1RC6, I would not advice to use it. @TS: what RouterOS version are you currently using on the MT's? And what hardware? Why are you not using IPSEC over L2TP?

tryuys
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:21 pm

Though running 7.1RC6, I would not advice to use it. @TS: what RouterOS version are you currently using on the MT's? And what hardware? Why are you not using IPSEC over L2TP?
I suppose thats reply on my question...> IPSEC over L2TP? ;)

GSM site : hAP ac Lite TC
HQ : hAP ac2