Community discussions

MikroTik App

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

zerotier with failover?

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:31 pm

Does failover work with zerotier? I have setup for now zerotier with one FTTH connection but want to add failover on LTE using the WaP LTE6. Is this possible. If the connection switch to another route will it be handled?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: zerotier with failover?

Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:15 pm

Basically three approaches:

1. ZeroTier will follow the default route, so if the rest of your network failover to LTE, ZT will failover like everything else. Assuming your failover is using something like "check-gateway" and lower scope/distance on the FTTH, with the LTE having a higher scope/distance. In our testing, ZT figures it pretty quickly (maybe a minute or less)". So may be nothing to do, depending on your needs.

2. Alternatively, you theoretically could create two ZT interface to your network. Then use the firewall "mangle" to mark routing/connection and/or policy routing/rules ("PBR") on the 2nd ZT interface so it goes out LTE. That would get you two different ZT IPs for your Mikrotik, following different routes to internet.

3. I haven't tried bridging ZT, but it does operate on L2, so you could extend the two interfaces with mangle/PBR config from #2 above, but adding both ZT interface to a bridge. If both interfaces were connected to same bridge on your Mikrotik, then you can use M/R/STP to let it sort out any loops, perhaps changing the STP priorities so it prefer the FTTH one. In this case, there always be two ZT links up, but only one used. M/R/STP also have some delay to converge, so wouldn't be zero-hit to failover in this approach.

If you use ZT for remote access or L3 routing, 1 is pretty easy. I think you'd have some specific use cases, like using ZT to bridge multiple sites, to justify the complexity of 2 or 3 above.