Community discussions

MikroTik App

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Im only getting 100MB on a 1GB connection

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:07 pm

I am far from a Mikrotik master, but I have setup 20-30 of the RB-2011/3011 devices, and a handful of the CCR1016-12S-1S+ all with Vlans, VPNs and Capsman with no issues (and a little guidance from this group). I still have a lot learn, so here I am with another question. I set up a CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN and I am only getting 100MB speeds from it. I have a 1GB fiber connection into a media converter, about 3 feet of CAT6 into eth1 of the CRS109... I am only getting about 94-96MB up and down. I want to be sure I am reading this correctly, I go into Interfaces -> interface and select ether1 everything seems to match what I see on some of my other routers that are running the WAN on eth1 except for the link partner advertising section. In this one that I am having issues with There are checks beside 10M half, 10M full, 100M half, 100M full, but the 1000M and higher speeds do not have checks beside them. This means that the ISP node is not advertising the 1GB speed correct? is there anything else that could be causing this? Heres the interesting part. I work in the IT department for the organization that Runs our Cities ISP, so I have talked directly to the network engineer and even looked at the config myself and everything we are seeing says that the node is set to 1GB. I have not had a chance to plug directly into the media converter and bypass the router to see if I get better speeds yet, Thats the plan for the middle of the night this weekend, and if that fails, we are going to go directly to the node and do some testing and maybe switch ports. but for now I just wanted to be sure that the "Link Partner Advertising" is what the Mikrotik device is seeing from the node and that's why The options are grayed out.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Im only getting 100MB on a 1GB connection

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 pm

I have a 1GB fiber connection into a media converter, about 3 feet of CAT6 into eth1 of the CRS109
In this one that I am having issues with There are checks beside 10M half, 10M full, 100M half, 100M full, but the 1000M and higher speeds do not have checks beside them. This means that the ISP node is not advertising the 1GB speed correct?
No, as you are not connecting directly to the ISP node you cannot tell what it is set to.
is there anything else that could be causing this?
The media converter, the Mikrotik is showing what the converter is advertising on its copper port.

Once that has been resolved if you are using the CRS for routing you won't get anything like 1Gbps, they are designed wire-speed switches with routing/firewallling limited by the performance of the CPU - it is the same specification as a RB2011.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:45 pm

for now I just wanted to be sure that the "Link Partner Advertising" is what the Mikrotik device is seeing from the node and that's why The options are grayed out.
Yes. This indicates that the media converter is not advertising the gigabit speed at its copper Ethernet side.

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:37 pm

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am going to try a few different things tonight. I will swap the media converter for one that is known to be working at 1GB speeds and it has dual eth ports so I can take a spare Mikrotik rb2011 and connect it to the additional port and see what speeds I get off of that, I am also bringing an SFP so that I can bypass the media converter completely and go directly in with fiber.