Community discussions

MikroTik App

ekklesia
just joined
Topic Author

Routing subnets

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:27 am

Ok so i've searched and tested different configurations and I can't figure this out. I'm sure i'm way off on something. What I am attempting to do is configure a router to work without nat. For example, assigning the routers wan 192.168.100.2 with a gateway of .1 and then having the lan be 192.168.100.x/xx. I would think this is how routers with public ips work but i cannot figure it out. What i was hoping to do was to have three interfaces not in the bridge and assign them each a /28 subnet. Is this possible and how do you do it? I can configure the router how i want it to work but it does not work that way. There must be some step I'm missing. This is on a hex S. I also have a ccr1016 but I assume this device should be capable. Thanks!

spynappels
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Routing subnets

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Could you diagram out what you mean? If you have all the segments in the same subnet, there is no routing, but it sounds like you want some version of VLSM, but then there are different subnets. They may look like they're in the same /24 subnet, but they're not and any config which assumes that is doomed to fail.

As I said, maybe a clearer description of what you are looking for (including a diagram) would help?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Routing subnets

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:17 pm

You can't have 192.168.100.x on WAN (assuming it's usual /24) and 192.168.100.x/28 on LAN. Well, you can, but it's not exactly cleanest config (it would work if you enable proxy ARP on WAN). Clean way is non-overlapping subnets. And one catch with that is that upstream router (gateway) must know about the subnets behind your router, i.e. to have a routes to them.