Community discussions

MikroTik App

totti4ever
just joined
Topic Author

DNS, how to set (DHCP) and for self-usage? [RouterOS]

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering how I can ask my Router to not provide itself as DNS Server to DHCP clients?! I have set my pihole instance in IP>DNS, but it only provided as 2nd DNS server to DHCP clients.

Also I am wondering which upstream DNS server my Router uses when those DHCP clients go the ROuter's route for DNS queries? The local domains I added to pihole cannot be resolved when asking the router using nslookup. So apparently it uses some other public DNS server, which I do not want.

cheers for your help in advance!

Edit:
Okay, I partly solved it: once the Router is set to answer DNS queries it'll always set itself as primary DNS server in DHCP.
Still open though - where does it forward the requests to?!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DNS, how to set (DHCP) and for self-usage? [RouterOS]

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 pm

DHCP server parameters are in "/ip dhcp-server network". If I remember correctly, router automatically adds either itself of DNS servers from "/ip dns", if you don't enter any manually. But that can be prevented using dns-none=yes options ("No DNS" checkbox in WinBox).

Router uses whatever you have in "/ip dns", either statically configured servers or dynamic servers from upstream DHCP (that too can be disabled, in router's DHCP client).