Community discussions

MikroTik App

MircoADM
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless and Mikrotik - one settlement

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Hello Mikrotik WiFi friends(or enemies) :D

I made a little measurement / competition between the „MT Audience“ and a "German Fritzbox 7590".
I measured different areas. Such as routing, filtering, wireless etc.

When it comes to area „WiFi“, the "German Fritz" clearly wins in many disciplines.
Unfortunately, MT can't score a lot when it comes to wireless.
In the area of "home / office networking", MT cannot be unreservedly recommended – unfortunately.

The reason is wireless runs on MT devices a lot slower than other devices e.g. the "Fritzbox"
"Lot slower" means 30-40%

It doesn't matter how many settings you change and how many "tricks" you use - it stays that way.
MT Wireless is slower than other providers.

Dozens of configurations have been tried with varying degrees of success. No one came close to the Plug & Play "Fritzbox".
All kinds of firmware versions from "Long-Term" to "Developer" were tried

I also used Dlink / Sophos / HPE (Aruba) and Ubiquiti for testing specifically on wireless.

With Wireless 5G, everyone was faster than MT.
I used Apple Iphone / Mac-book Pro and Medionlaptop as clients. All clients can use modern wireless 5G modes.
The Apple devices can 3x3 (4x4) and the Medion device can 2x2 MIMO streams.
Measurements were always made with Iperf and Iperf3 with different parameters.

Examples(Real data rates in a real environment with e.g. walls in between):

TestSetup1:
WIFI 2G
MT(WIFI Interface 1) 80Mbit
Fritz 80Mbit
WIFI 5G
MT(WIFI Interface 2) 100Mbit
MT(WIFI Interface 3) 175Mbit
Fritz 280Mbit

TestSetup2:
WIFI 2G
MT(WIFI Interface 1) 45Mbit
Fritz 50Mbit
WIFI 5G
MT(WIFI Interface 2) 90Mbit
MT(WIFI Interface 3) 90Mbit
Fritz 160Mbit

TestSetup3:
WIFI 5G
MT(WIFI Interface 2) 200Mbit
MT(WIFI Interface 3) 250Mbit
Fritz 350Mbit

TestSetup4:
WIFI 5G
MT(WIFI Interface 2) 75Mbit
MT(WIFI Interface 3) 75Mbit
Fritz 130Mbit

And so forth

You can easily see where the journey is going.
WIFI 2G is unremarkable and WIFI 5G is a lot slower

Various tests were also made with "Mesh", i.e. WIFI handover, and the handover in Capsman works very well here.
A running livecall (VoIP) with a very short cache is not interrupted and almost nothing can be heard when changing the WIFI station.
(Sometimes just a small "crack") video chat is just as easy. All other things like streaming (Youtube) work anyway. Here the "Mesh" is equal to that of the "Fritzbox". In order for this to work so quickly, you have to use CapsMAN.
Without CapsMAN, simply several channels with the same SSID and the same password ensures a few seconds of interruption (2-3) when changing.
The entire "mesh" depends heavily on the clients and Apple is lucky because they like to "mesh".
Further tests with a "Samsung Xcover 5" went without any problems.
I think all modern WIFI-clients are good at "meshing".
After a while, all clients, provided they can 5G, were on the WIFI interface 2 or 3 at the MT.

Conclusion:

Apart from the WIFI, I think everything else is better with MT. I love the many possibilities to configure a network. I have seldom seen devices that offer so many setting options.
Even though it's in development, I love the wireguard function in RouterOS 7.
Super fast and stable tunnels
Only with OpenWRT do I have a similar number of setting options.
Of course there are also many setting options in the "professional league", but a multiple of the money is required here.
I know e.g. Bintec / Ciso / Lancom / LISS ....
MT is simply unbeaten in terms of price / performance.
In the area of ​​WIFI "Link" e.g. 66G, MT is also great - here we have great data rates with stable connections.

One little tip for MT WIFI(CapsMAN):
ALWAYS switch on local forwarding when using CapsMAN! If you don't do that, you get a "transmission" from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 (UDP) within 1 device, which leads to an additional slowdown of the WiFi transmission - between different devices anyway.
Only if you have to "redirect" the WLAN data traffic, there is nothing else to do - then it goes a little slower

The 2nd 5G transmitter in the Audience is relatively useless as a stable "backbone" because it works only in the radar range and you cannot skip any radar channels! If you stick to the legal requirements you CANNOT tune the channel. This transmitter ALWAYS looks for interference from radar no matter what you tune in. Unless you ignore the legal requirements.
Set the country to "etsi" and you can set frequencies eg. 5500 Mhz

By the way, what MT does well with WiFi is the multiple load, i.e. when several clients load the WiFi. The audience cuts a fine figure here! With 4 clients at the same time, I get almost identical values as a Fritzbox - in total.

Will I continue to use MT? Of course, because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages with WLAN and also with IPv6
(but that's a different topic). And even if the WLAN is slower, I don't want to miss the many setting and diagnosis options anymore.

Greetings Andy

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless and Mikrotik - one settlement

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:03 pm

You should test 7590AX or even better the 6000 Repeater. The difference esp. with 2GHz is huge. We are in 2021 so 802.ax is the current tech.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Danke @Andy for the nice summary.
i concur with your results

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:09 am

To keep it simple...

It's ROUTEROS.

The wifi in long-term, current, and development routerOS uses wifi 5 ACv1 drivers.

Wifi5 V2 is just PARTIALLY supported in the development branch. Only on some devices. Only on standalone. And multiple features are still not implemented...
On Wifi5 V2... A 2016 protocol... Is incomplete... As 2022 is just over a month away.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:23 pm

To keep it simple...

It's ROUTEROS.

The wifi in long-term, current, and development routerOS uses wifi 5 ACv1 drivers.

Wifi5 V2 is just PARTIALLY supported in the development branch. Only on some devices. Only on standalone. And multiple features are still not implemented...
On Wifi5 V2... A 2016 protocol... Is incomplete... As 2022 is just over a month away.
We know this.

Everyone is waiting patiently for rOS v7 and for the wifiwave2 to stop being development/debug only.
Hopefully we will get a treat in the new year ?
Would be nice to be able to upgrade all the capAC boxes I have deployed.
Hope cAPSMAN will work with it.