Community discussions

MikroTik App

famadorian
just joined
Topic Author

Configure as Access Point

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:11 pm

Any pointers as to how I can configure the CAP AC as an access point?

Now it works as a wifi router, with its own network and DHCP server. I want it to be an access point for my existing network.

Pointers? Thanks;)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configure as Access Point

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:56 pm

What vlans are feeding the capac from the router?
homelan/guestlan/management (often the trusted home LAN/WIFI is also the managment vlan).

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configure as Access Point

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:02 pm

You can use QuickSet to change to a mode that use "Bridge" and check the box "Bridge all LAN ports", it should let you set the SSID/security in the QuickSet screen. Since cAP be a "bridge", not a router, it act like a AP. The cAP device configuration itself controls Wi-Fi SSID/etc, but clients get DHCP and traffic forwarded from an upstream router. That's the easiest method.

If you had multiple SSID using VLANs, using "use-tag" and provide a VLAN ID on a [new] "virtual" Wi-Fi interface would tag it on the cAP ac's bridge (assuming you added the 2+ virtualAP interface to the bridge interface as aport). The VLAN be carried back to your upstream router/switch.

If you have another Mikrotik or multiple cAPs you want to use, you can use CAPsMAN to "push" a config to the cAP, but this requires another Mikrotik that has CAPsMAN "manager" enabled (AND configured correctly). The wiki/help describes the feature in more detail. In general, you need to configure more than just a few/couple APs to justify the more complex setup, but YMMV.