MikroTik App

miro
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

How to explain my boss about complexity of RouterOS

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:03 pm

Hello guys,
We are discussing here about complex setups: ipsec, complex src-nat and dst-nat scenarious, hotspots, klient vpn's with Windows radius and so on and so on.
I have a coworker, which didn't (or couldn't) learn about networking and Mikrotik for three years. I'm talking about a guy, who doesn't know what is ISO OSI model, hasn't heard about CIDR, etc.. And has problems with configuring simple AP in bridge mode...

And my boss want's from me, that in one week I should teach that person how to configure and manage above mentioned complex network setups. I will quit my current job - here is the reason for such a hurry from my boss side.

And question is: how to explain my boss, that this is a no go scenario and he shoul look for other option, for how to manage his networks?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to explain my boss about complexity of RouterOS

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:42 pm

You can consider yourself lucky. Usually nowadays a boss would tell you that networking apparently is a too complex job today and that it will be outsourced to an external company that has all the expertise.
(he already signed a contract based on a talk with a salesman and a senior technician)

After that, you will find that the external company puts a trainee on the job that has less expertise than you (your boss thought that the senior technicial would do the work).
And from now on for every change you need to create a change request that has to pass 3 persons between you and the person who will implement it, takes 3 weeks to complete, and the result will be different from what you requested.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:50 pm

You can consider yourself lucky.
Well, he is lucky, as he is leaving. The unlucky one is the boss who will have to outsource the network administration because the other chap won't be able to deal with it.

@miro, it's not the complexity of RouterOS, it's the complexity of networking. No other brand providing comparable flexibility is simpler to configure.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:52 pm

If you have a Team-Member working in IT, wo doesn't understand IT...
Well If he isn't the Son of a Board-Member, the company has a Management Problem

But returning to your original Question....

Problem 1: Time to teach
I assume your daily Workload will not change until your are gone...
So this makes it almost impossible to teach someone the in's and out's

Problem 2: Learn-Limitation
You will not only have to teach RouterOS, which isn't easy to begin with,
but also complex Network Tool's and Function ( Radius, IPSec, NAT etc..)

There is a limit how much someone can learn in a Week!!

Side Notes / Timeline Exemples

1. Here in Germany jung adults (between 17- 25) have 3 Years to learn the Basic (Ausbildug)
2 Days a Week they learn the "Theory" in School and the rest of the Week learn the "practical" aspect at work.

2. Adults wishing a Career change (For exemple an 35 year old Electrician switching to IT)
Will usually do a 12 to 24 Week long course to solidify the Basic before entering the Work-Market

3. In Germany most emploment Contract have a Notice period of 3, 6 ,9 or even 12 mouths
This is mostly to allow an overlapp between the "old" and "new" employees

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:55 pm

And my boss want's from me, that in one week I should teach that person how to configure and manage above mentioned complex network setups. I will quit my current job - here is the reason for such a hurry from my boss side.
1 ... ROS takes a long time to learn ... if your are very technically smart the learning curve is shorter but still there is absolutly no substituite for ROS Experience.
2 ... because your Boss want you to teach your coworker ROS in 1 week quitting your job is the correct path.
3.. @pe1chl provided you with excellent commentary ...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:05 pm

You can consider yourself lucky.
Well, he is lucky, as he is leaving.
Well yes, I sort of missed that. I have more often seen the situation where the boss thinks "everyone should be able to do the job" (in case of illness, vacation etc).
And when it is complicated, just outsource the whole thing. Mainly to cover his ass, he has done everything possible to guarantee continuity,

afuchs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Step 1: Do a demonstration how to configure something 'easy stuff', like dest. Nat for a couple of ports on multiple WANs and how to set up the filter rules, with your coworker AND your boss.
Step 2: Decide if you want to 'help out' as a contractor, if you do it for free you will work the next years part time for your boss without pay.

That should do it.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Make the TCO/ROI argument – you likely saved him/company some money with you+Mikrotik setup, over brand name gear and support contracts. Now, of course, those saving should be applied to training/re-hiring or engaging with a Mikrotik consultancy.

Alternatively, turn this guy into Milton from Office Space:
So what you do is you take the specifications from the customers and you bring them down to the [network] engineers?
Your collegue
That, that's right.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:30 pm

I'd try. Obviously it assumes that for a week this would be the only thing for me and the guy, and boss would have to understand to not expect miracles, or at least I'd tell him that very clearly. The focus would be on maintenance of the existing thing, to be able to fix common problems, to prevent everything collapsing in few days. Best case, enough info will stick and the guy will be able to go from there. Or his brain blows up on day two. Or less drastic way, he quits before you. :) That btw is interesting aspect, did anyone ask the guy what he thinks about it? If he doesn't know anything, he should be aware of that, and also understand that if it should be on him, it's maybe a bigger responsibility than he's prepared for.

miro
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:31 am

Thank you for suggestions. Today we have a meeting on this subject and I'll report here about it.