Community discussions

MikroTik App

Byrdz
just joined
Topic Author

Super Beginnery

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Please have patience, I haven’t routed stuff in years. I used to do this stuff for a living but due to declining health I can barely even concentrate.

I need to connect two home networks over an open vpn tunnel and I don’t know what to buy, install, etc.

My understanding is I can put a mikrotik in each house behind the cable modem. I need something with a few hard ports that can also handle the WiFi and maybe the same device can do vpn?. I will have to use dynamic dns. One user needs to connect to a hard port to tunnel out with a company router for work, which is separate from the point to point tunnel I would like to keep open between homes.

Can anyone suggest where to start? What devices can I buy that are inexpensive that can manage the tunnel? What do I need to load on the devices? What do I do about the cable company’s address scheme for the home network which can’t be changed? (Breaks the DVrs). I have never configured one of these and have always used out of the box WiFi router firewalls etc, how do I make sure my device is configured properly and locked down from the internet and intruders correctly? What is the minimum amount of bandwidth I’d need to support the tunnel? Etc

I apologize if my questions are too rudimentary for the forum? I’m wondering if I can hire someone on one of these task websites to set this up for me. Please talk to me like I don’t know anything bc I don’t know anything. 🙂

Thanks in advance.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Super Beginnery

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:25 pm

What is the purpose of the connectivity (use cases in detail will help resolve equipment and configuration). In other words description of what users should be able to do from both ends........without mentioning the configuration.

Byrdz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Super Beginnery

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:28 pm

Just the ability to access all resources on both sides as if it were a local network.

So if someone wants to print something to the other house, they can choose a printer there. If someone in one house puts something on the scanner the person in the other house can hit scan and get the image on their computer. Someone in house one wants to shut off a smart light in house 2, they can see it. Etc. someone in house 2 wants to grab a file off a network drive in house 1, seamless. Etc. internet traffic can either go out locally or from the other location. Etc.