MikroTik App

birendersinghbudhwar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

/30 IP Pool with Disc Lite 5 as CPE

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi Mikrotik Guru's,

Just want to know how to route the 2 usable IP of /30 IP pool received via pppoe, from its ether port to switch and then to servers, what configuration is required at Disc Lite 5.

Thanks, and regards,

Birender

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: /30 IP Pool with Disc Lite 5 as CPE

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 am

It depends. I don't have much experience with PPPoE, so I don't know if the client somehow handles it, or if it's just subnet routed to you. If it's the latter, then you can simply route those addresses anywhere else you want with "/ip route". And not just two, but all four of them.

birendersinghbudhwar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi,

The first IP address will be assigned to pppoe port on wlan1 and last IP is broadcast IP and 2 IP between first and last is usable on systems. our pppoe assigned us /30 pool.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 pm

Broadcast and network address is something used with regular subnets, but since PPPoE is point to point, it doesn't need any of that. And if you're assigning the first address to router, you're already breaking standard subnetting, because that would be network address. But again, I don't think it matters here. And if it works with the first one, then last one should work too. Anyway, that's just a detail, extra usable address would be simply nice bonus.

The important part is what PPPoE client does automatically and what's manual config. Can you share some info about that?

If I try quick test with both RouterOS client and server, I can route extra /30 (or any other) subnet to client, but using this subnet on client side is manual config. So if it's like that, you can either:

a) Use whole subnet on some internal interface, but that would give you only one usable address, because first would be network address, second would have router (as gateway for connected device), third one the device itself, and fourth would be broadcast.
b) Work with individual addresses. Assign any of them to router, use them as point to point addresses for directly connected devices (not everything supports that), route them to any connected device or another router in your network, anything.