Community discussions

MikroTik App

moham96
Topic Author

Run a pppoe client on a bridge?

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:22 am

Hello,
I have the ISP line through ether5 to my router, if i setup a pppoe-client on ether5 then it works fine, but if i put ether5 in a bridge and run the pppoe-client on that bridge then it doesn't work, the AC doesn't even reply to the `PADI` packets

Regards

spynappels
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Run a pppoe client on a bridge?

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:20 am

Are you using the PPPoE client to establish a WAN connection? If so, why would you put a PPPoE client on a bridge rather than an individual interface? I'm afraid I don't understand the use-case, could you explain it in a little more detail?

moham96
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Are you using the PPPoE client to establish a WAN connection? If so, why would you put a PPPoE client on a bridge rather than an individual interface? I'm afraid I don't understand the use-case, could you explain it in a little more detail?
The reason is because i have multiple subscriptions and instead of using a switch to run a line for each router i wanted to bridge two interfaces together so that i can run a second lan cable to my second router where i can run 3 more PPPoE clients on load balance

spynappels
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:27 pm

I see.
I am not aware of a way to do this on the Mikrotik, other than by terminating all the PPPoE sessions on the Mikrotik and using the Mikrotik's routing functions to share them wherever they need to go. I'm not sure how you would fit another router into that.