Community discussions

MikroTik App

maximusmx
just joined
Topic Author

Queuing WAN total using multiple WANs

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:59 am

I am new for Mikrotik and using an rb5009 with Ros7rc6
I have got 2 wan and each wan are 1000/500Mbps, Lets say I want all client are use wan1 with no any limitation. They can consume all available bandwidth by then.

In case of wan1 get full. I would like the client start to use wan2 until both wan are full. What I'm thinking about and here is an example.
If we do speed test. the connection will use all wan1. when wan1 full, it will start to consume wan2. In total of speedtest. I would expected to see 2000/1000 mbps (wan1+wan2)
Is this possible and could somebody share the script?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Queuing WAN total using multiple WANs

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 am

If we do speed test. the connection will use all wan1. when wan1 full, it will start to consume wan2. In total of speedtest. I would expected to see 2000/1000 mbps (wan1+wan2)
Is this possible and could somebody share the script?
Not possible as far as I know.Not related to Mikrotik in specific, but in general networking on these types of ISP connections.
Only if you have multiple sessions/streams (and/or multiple clients/devices) you can "balance" across WAN1/2 , not "aggregate" a single user/device/session across the 2 WAN's.
Interesting if somebody would come up with a solution

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:58 am

You can not split a single stream over multiple WANs. It doesn't work that way.

The only possible solution I have seen is to have first all WANs aggregate in some way on a separate virtual router and use that one as breakout.
Then it could be possible.
Instead of focusing on getting the highest speed (a parameter which is highly overrated anyhow...), focus on proper load balancing over those lines and fault tolerance in case one goes down.
Might be a lot better for user experience than just being able to get the absolute maximum out of the lines. And for what purpose ?

maximusmx
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:25 am

Thank you for your feedback. I'm coming from Thailand and some user mentioned that it possible with "Bandwidth on Demand" solution.
Unfortunately, This script is not for free and need to buy. That why I'm looking for this forum to get advise from someone who familiar with.
Anyway, If I use may be 2 CHR router. Is it possible?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Nope, will not change.
Possible : load-balance multiple sessions / users across multiple links
Not Possible : combine 2 links / PPPoE sessions to (different) upstream ISP and make it look like 1 "bigger pipe"

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Thank you for your feedback. I'm coming from Thailand and some user mentioned that it possible with "Bandwidth on Demand" solution.
Unfortunately, This script is not for free and need to buy. That why I'm looking for this forum to get advise from someone who familiar with.
I'll ask the underlying question clearly in case you missed it:
WHY would you want to do this ?
Do you have an absolute necessary requirement for a single stream going over 1Gbps ??
For what purpose ?

If not, you're wasting time, effort and money.
Multiple WANs and load balancing, much better for users connecting to your router.

ivantirado
just joined

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm

I don’t think the OP expects a single TCP stream to load balance. Speed tests themselves aren’t a single TCP stream… I read the expectation as - all connections use WAN1 until a threshold is reached, then new connections use WAN2. WAN1 is always used, except when the threshold is reached… WAN2 is used as an “overflow” for WAN1.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:49 pm

The OP needs to know that the person selling such a script is ripping people off.
YOu can set up load balancing on the router 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 etc,
I think the question that needs answering ......... is there a method to gauge the load and respond accordingly?
In other words the router realizes that WAN1 is 90% saturated so now start using WAN2, until lets say WAN1 is below 50 saturated.