MikroTik App

jakubch
just joined
Topic Author

SFP+ as WAN instead of Ether1

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 am

Hello,

i have CRS326-24G-2S+IN as my main switch and router in my house,

working fine few years, but now i have chance to be connected via optical fiber, so my plan is to use SFP+ port on my Mikrotik...

However, i have never set up any SFP ports in Mikrotik and i need to have it done while the technician are at our house, so i'm searching what to do i need to set up and on what look for.

As i searched i will just need to change only interface from ether1 to SFP+, like DHCP client, NAT, Gateway, etc.. and that's it?
Nothing more to set up for optic fiber on SFP+ port?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SFP+ as WAN instead of Ether1

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:20 pm

Why SPF+ as WAN.
Is the incoming connection from the ISP coming directly into your router as a fiber end rated at 10Gigs?
Is the incoming connection coming from the ISP modem (ISp modem has a fiber transceiver and if so is this rated at 10Gig?

What are your expectations??

jakubch
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:38 am

Hello anav,

i want to, because our ISP is building optic fibers all around town, with better speeds - from VDSL era to optic fiber...EYYY!
And i assume, that paying for optic fiber router (aprox 140USD from ISP), when I have the option to connect fiber directly to my router...

The incoming connection is connected to the backbone optical network.

My expectations is primary better upload - on my existing connection i have only 5Mbps...in real it's around 3,5-4,5Mbps and if anyone want to upload, make video call or somethin, then whole connection colapses to 1500-5000ms response time.... but on fiber they offer symetrical speeds, like 50/50 Mbps. And as second i expect better basic response time - from 35-50ms to maybe 5-10?

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:35 am

The CRS326-24G-2S+IN shouldnt have any problem Routing 50/50 ISP Speeds.

The Problem with Response-time / Latency may solves itself with the new ISP (Optic fiber),
But may also be because of the Config / Performance of the Network or Mikrotik-Device

jakubch
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am

Hello Conny,

we tried with ISP they router to test, if is something bad in config, or it's just network feature...
VDSL running on network build in 90s and if i use VOIP like discord, playing games and my gf too it's too heavy load for existing connection with that small upload...
Also tried LTE, but it was reall bad if everyone is back from work...from 4 to 10 pm basic ping is 300 at LTE.... :(
So i hope fiber will be liberation in words of connectivity with the world... :)

But my main guestion is still unanswered: Do i need just change interface from ether1 to SFP+ port and all will be working? OR i will need to configure something else to swtich to optic... :)

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:14 pm

But my main guestion is still unanswered: Do i need just change interface from ether1 to SFP+ port and all will be working? OR i will need to configure something else to swtich to optic... :)

Yeah, you will most likely only have to change the ether1-Reference to SFP+ for firewall, NAT, DHCP-Sclient, PPP/PPPoE

If you need help, with the Configuration-Change,
simply POST the config of the Mikrotik device
(/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish)