Community discussions

MikroTik App

hardtik
just joined
Topic Author

CRS305-1G-4S+IN instead of "hAP ac" as internet router

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 pm

I know that CRS305 can work as RouterOS based router (and it uses Router OS now even working as "switch"... without DHCP and so on).

So I plan to connect CRS305 to WAN instead used currently hAP ac. CRS305 has single RJ-45 port (but it is not a problem).
I also do not need Wi-FI in that place, I just need fast speed and endpoint protection. Just routing to WAN and protection of local network with good speed
Like it was with hAP ac before (which is also is not very fast device though but working good all that time).
I need to reorganize network and I want to move hAP ac to another place.

So my question - is it good/bad replacement from point of view of speed and hardware?

I will use: 1 PPPoE, mostly default Firewall rules, static IP address, some ports opened and mapped to local network, DNS cache and server with static DNS entries, no UPnP, no VPN.

rushlife
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CRS305-1G-4S+IN instead of "hAP ac" as internet router

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:06 am

it is just switch, good as is gets,
primary it's L2 device and with L3 work can easily struggle, nobody will recommend this solution for you

but if it's just temporary and you do not have any large traffic, so then.... may can handle it

flasix
just joined

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:20 am

If the hAP ac met your needs, the CRS305 will do it a little better. Make sure your current modem allows you to separate the LAN from the WAN so that the CRS305 can act as a firewall.
If necessary, consider using the other ports of the CRS305 by adding S-RJ01 type modules.

hardtik
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:46 am

If the hAP ac met your needs, the CRS305 will do it a little better.
Thanks for information, it is good news!

Make sure your current modem allows you to separate the LAN from the WAN so that the CRS305 can act as a firewall.
Not sure I understand. My current ISP device is bridging.
So currently hAP ac router separates WAN and local network.
And I plan to repeat similar configuration in CRS305.

If necessary, consider using the other ports of the CRS305 by adding S-RJ01 type modules.
I have only 2 workstations, both of them has 10G NICs so probably not needed, though I considered S+RJ10 as some "fallback" to connect more usual copper (up to 10G for any future use).

hardtik
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:57 am

it is just switch, good as is gets,
primary it's L2 device and with L3 work can easily struggle, nobody will recommend this solution for you

but if it's just temporary and you do not have any large traffic, so then.... may can handle it
But how is it good in your opinion in comparison with hAP ac? Can it replace it? Flasix thinks it is possible.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:50 am

But how is it good in your opinion in comparison with hAP ac? Can it replace it? Flasix thinks it is possible.

Check official test results for both devices ... look under routing section, many people find number under "Routing -> 25 ip filter rules -> 512 byte packet size" to resemble real-life performance pretty well. CRS305 has 270Mbps there, hAP ac has 318Mbps. However, CRS305 has potential to surpass that mark by large margin, ROSv7 enables L3 HW offloading which means that in optimal scenario CRS305 will route traffic wirespeed (but only between SFP+ interfaces, ethernet port will always bog CPU).

mbovenka

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm

However, CRS305 has potential to surpass that mark by large margin, ROSv7 enables L3 HW offloading which means that in optimal scenario CRS305 will route traffic wirespeed (but only between SFP+ interfaces, ethernet port will always bog CPU).

Note that the CRS305 will not do NAT offloading, which most home users will probably need from their router.