Community discussions

MikroTik App

JimMI
just joined
Topic Author

Need script for ether-in / WiFi out on same home network

Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 am

Total newbie here, sorry! I want to configure a RB951Ui-2HnD (RouterOS 6.49) as an additional WAP in order to provide better WiFi coverage in my home. My home network is fairly simple: ISP's fiber modem -> ISP's Zyxel router/WAP/4-port switch -> Netgear 10/100 dumb 16-port switch -> Asus "router" configured as WAP/4-port switch. Everything is within the same 192.168.1.xxx network. Laptops, tablets and phones currently connect WiFi to either the Asus or the Zyxel WAP using the same key, depending on location and signal strength, and can connect to a wireless printer on the same network for printing and scanning. All rooms are cabled with Cat 5e ether, so I want to use an ether port on the MikroTik to pick up the rest of the home network from the Netgear switch and then get a stronger WiFi signal in and around the room where the MikroTik is parked. No POE necessary. All permanent network devices currently have fixed IP's so I want to be able to connect to the MikroTik via ether or WiFi at 192.168.1.6. The ISP's router (192.168.1.1) will continue to be the DHCP & DNS server over the whole network.

I have tried using several QuickSet configurations in Winbox (Home AP, Basic AP, CPE/Bridge) but have been unable to make things work properly. I have tried to adapt from many posts here of people trying to do something similar (ether in, boosted WiFi out) but seem to end up with separate networks, or no WiFi, or no internet, or unable to print, or critical errors in the log ... you get the picture.

After 2 weeks of messing around, I am hoping that someone can provide a script to accomplish this, along with instructions for which LAN port to plug the ether cable into (during WinBox configuration and finally for LAN feed when done).

I really appreciate any help! My next step was to scrap the MikroTik and buy a second Asus, as their UI allows this setup in less than a minute.