Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pablo_M
just joined
Topic Author

Can`t pass a vlan over the air.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:57 am

Hi, I have a mikrotik configured as an AP-bridge, and a remote unit configuered as station.
I managed to configure a vlan interface on the AP for administration and it works ok, but when I try to pass another vlan over de wireless interface to the remote station the equipment connected to it does not respond pings. I put a sniffer, and I see arp tagged request (.1q) paquets coming in, but my equipment (a cisco switch) does not respond them.
(I have lot of experience in cisco, and Im not wrong in configuration)
Then I change the configuration, on the station, to receive untagged, I put the sniffer again, and it happens again (I receive arp request from de cpe, connected to de AP, but this time untagged, and a simple PC does not respond the pings, nor does not get arp entries) -
It looks like a mac publication problem...Im not sure..
Then I put an IP address on every VLAN interface (Vlan interface on the ethernet, vlan interface on the wireless link (wlan1)), and what I found is that the CPEs connected to the mikrotiks, can ping only locally vlan interfaces, but not the remote vlan interfaces. All vlan interfaces have same id, and belong to same IP network.
My config is as follow:
vlan id 1900, on interfaces: eth1 and wlan1.
I create a bridge name "vname1900" Then I bridge all the vlan interfaces with id 1900 to "vname1900"
I also try to include in the bridge, wlan1 and on wds1 interface. Does anyone know why it is not workings?. Thanks-

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Can`t pass a vlan over the air.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:00 pm

have you tried putting vlan interface on wds interface?
dont include ether or wlan interface in bridge, only vlan interfaces (otherwise the bridging code intercepts the vlan packets before the vlan code does)

Pablo_M
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:45 pm

have you tried putting vlan interface on wds interface?
dont include ether or wlan interface in bridge, only vlan interfaces (otherwise the bridging code intercepts the vlan packets before the vlan code does)
Thank you for your response.
Yes I tried that, a vlan interface tagged 1900, link to the interface wds1, and another vlan interface tagged 1900 link to the ethernet interface. The I bridge both with the same bridge.
I also tried instead of link the vlan interface to the wds1, link it to the wlan1 interface.

A very strange thing happens. When I remove the bridge at the station (remote), I can ping from the CPE at the AP side to the remote vlan link to the wds1 interface .But the CPE at the Station can`t ping locally the vlan interface link to the wds1. Then when I put the bridge back again, both CPEs can ping only locally vlan interfaces!.

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 am

I am having the same issue!