Community discussions

MikroTik App

Madara
just joined
Topic Author

Download Router configuration

Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:42 am

Hello, I have a Mikrotik CCR1016-12G, I can't access to them. Last network administrator was not really good and did not document or secure copy configurations. I need to access or download router configurations.

I got dropped trough Winbox in local ports on MAC address conexiones . There is one port with an IP address, I set up an IP next to it but same results. I did not try console port because I have no serial connector for my computer right now.

¿There another way to download the export configuration? Thx.
Last edited by Madara on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Download Router configuration

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:31 am

Without successful connection to router you can't get configuration. Generally there's no automatically made config to download, you have to create it first (via management UI) ... it is possible to create schedule for creating config files, but that's not done by default.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Can you not be more direct my son........... I wish one could type with a scottish accent LOL

The answer is NO, you are screwed if inheriting this device without proper access.
You need to netinstall the latest version of software and restart a fresh config.

The best thing to do is capture the current activities of users, what they can and what they are unable to do from their LANs.
Draw some network diagrams.
Confirm with the bosses what the employers or users should and should not be able to do.
Design a config.
Implement.
Wait for the screaming.
Modify config.
See smiles.
Get Bonus

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Try with a serial cable through the console port ...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:23 pm

Serial port is the only way that bypasses any firewall rules, that's correct. However, if you don't have the admin credentials, even a serial access won't allow you to get the configuration. So if you really don't, there's no point in wasting time trying and you have to follow @Anav's suggestion. If you do, it's a plain text terminal connection not picky about timing, so any USB-to-serial converter with a proper cable (serial port pinouts and speeds for particular RouterBoard models can be found in the manual) will do.

One more bit of bad news - also serial console access can be disabled in configuration.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:54 pm

One more bit of bad news - also serial console access can be disabled in configuration.
Who would disable especially the console port ?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:14 pm

Disgruntled employee? Paranoic admin, with device more physically exposed than would be advised?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:18 pm

Disgruntled employee? Paranoic admin, with device more physically exposed than would be advised?
haha yes maybe...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:22 pm

@Paternot was faster than me.

I'd add myself to the list - I often connect the console serial port of Mikrotik to console serial port of another device to have an emergency access to one via the other if I break the network configuration on one of them. I normally add a script to make it a console after each restart, so that a local co-worker could restore the console capability by a power cycle, but some people don't like scripting.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:35 pm

I normally add a script to make it a console after each restart
@sindy what do you mean ? By default it is enabled...
You disable the console port for some reason ?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Yes. If you want to use the serial port to connect to the serial port of the other equipment connected to it, you must first detach the console from it.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Yes. If you want to use the serial port to connect to the serial port of the other equipment connected to it, you must first detach the console from it.
ok i understand now ...
So if you disable the console and connect two devices through their serial port, they do see each other ?