MikroTik App

vikinggeek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CHR installation on Vultr fails, old virtio drivers

Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:17 am

Hi,

Has anyone been able to update the virtio drivers on the CHR raw image? I'm trying to install 6.49.1 on Vultr VPS and it fails with the following errors:
Booting from Hard Disk. . .
Loading system with initrd
ERROR: Could not find disk!
Please attach it somewhere else

The response I get from Vultr support is:
Mikrotik does not currently use updated VirtIO drivers, meaning our new underlying hypervisor configuration is not compatible. Mikrotik's ISO will need to be updated to use the newer drivers before it can be installed on Vultr VPS instances without the workaround. Currently, this is an issue on Mikrotik's side.

I'v been successful in getting CHR running doing this (but am worrying that this may create other problems due to old drivers):
A workaround would be to deploy a FreeBSD 12 instance (which uses an older hypervisor configuration), and then attach the SystemRescueCD ISO to it, boot from that ISO

Any suggestions?

vikinggeek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: CHR installation on Vultr fails, old virtio drivers

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:16 am

Tried the new 7.1 version, installed without any problem. Maybe that's the only option?

ipred
just joined

Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Using KVM (qemu)
Same issue with v6.49.1. (same error as you)
With v7.1.1 works fine, however, I have ramdom problems with ospf (some instance works fine, some not)

hammy559
just joined

Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:19 am

Vultr uses its own emulated machine firmware they develop. I would choose an old distro they let you install and then use something like finnix to write the CHR image to the virtual hard drive over SSH. Using and old distro may help as it may use older emulated hardware and perhaps might not even be custom. They are the only provider that I know of that does custom stuff like this.

For KVM, when you install/setup the VM make sure you choose the i440fx machine and NOT q35. Q35 is still pretty experimental and is really only useful if you pass through external video cards, pci cards, etc to a VM. The i440fx machine is stable and runs great. The virtio drivers run fine under it and not sure why the default libvirt uses is Q35. If using virt-manager, you will need to set the option on VM setup as it cannot be edited after creating the VM using the gui.