Community discussions

MikroTik App

zimast
just joined
Topic Author

Static IP for Internet (WAN) not working

Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi,

I recently bought Mikrotik RouterBOARD RB5009UG+S+IN as a replacement for ZTE router from my ISP wanted to have control over my local network(s). They gave me ZTE gpon ont converter from fiber optic to metalic line which I then connected to ether1 on Mikrotik. It suppose to be 1 gbps. I reset mikrotik to empty config without default and tried to set up WAN interface setting my static IP from provider with following steps:
  • 1. IP -> Addresses -> set static IP with mask /24 on ether1 (apply + ok)
    2. Set IP routes -> 0.0.0.0/0 to Gateway IP
    3. Added DNS servers from ISP
When I then try to ping 8.8.8.8 or gateway from terminal on mikrotik with e.g. /ping 8.8.8.8 i get nothing, only timeouts. Am I doing something wrong or missed something ?

Thanks.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Static IP for Internet (WAN) not working

Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:54 pm

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

If the gateway or wanip are public, just put in fake numbers for the ones that come up on the export.

zimast
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:34 pm

# jan/02/1970 00:12:52 by RouterOS 7.0.5
# software id = XXXX-XXXX
#
# model = RB5009UG+S+
# serial number = XXXXXXXXX
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip address
add address=XX.XXX.XXX.142/24 interface=ether1 network=XX.XXX.XXX.0
/ip dns
set servers=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,XX.XXX.XXX.XX
/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=XX.XXX.XXX.1 routing-table=main \
    suppress-hw-offload=no
/system routerboard settings
set cpu-frequency=auto

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:40 pm

That's not the complete export, is it ?

Are you sure that fixed ip is to be set in the Tik and is not for what is put in front ?
In that case you may have to use DHCP on your WAN port.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Cant be ???????
And your IP address is wrong!! Its not an IP address but a subnet.......
/ip address
add address=XX.XXX.XXX.142/24

If you think you know what the problem is then why ask here, otherwise please show full config.........

zimast
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:17 pm

It is complete. After reset configuration with no backup or default one loaded. Lets say you just bought router and you have public IP from ISP with mask, gateway and two DNS IPs. You have fiber optic cable coming right out of wall and you need to convert it to UTP in order to connect to Mikrotik router so you have ZTE gpon ont ZXHN F601. That is my case. I think ISP didn't tell me something important to configure so I contacted ISP and they told me they will contact me on Monday since tech support not working on weekends (that is bad I know). I thought that I could try asking here but now I understand that there are very few information I can provide so you won't be able to help. I apologize for that.

I was also thinking if there is possibility to try every of configuration for WAN ether1 port with this small information (IPs and masks) ?

I tried DHCP for WAN ether1, it is stacked at "searching ...".
According to https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... figuration when setting up static IP for WAN you should use XX.XX.XX.XX/XX format as I did.

I don't know what problem is.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 pm

And your IP address is wrong!! Its not an IP address but a subnet.......
That's one point down for you. Be carefull, or I'll have to revoke your (non)certification, if you continue like this. ;) Don't you have your IP addresses with masks at your routers?

And for OP, there's not much else you can do, if you were given correct numbers and typed them correctly, it should work.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Well, you may have a point ( 1/2 a point deduction) as I was not thinking of the omicron (moronic) way of providing WANIPs aka via private IP addresses.
Yes on my routers, all the 'private' LANIP addresses are done via 192.168.x.1/24 with network of 192.168.1.0 etc

My experience with public IPs is very different I see /20 /22 etc.......... but not /24.

I notice there is no IP DHCP Client setting but if set statically I suppose that is not required.
Finally did you try with DNS servers set at 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 pm

# jan/02/1970 00:12:52 by RouterOS 7.0.5

Date seems off and isnt the first release 7.1 test ???

I dont see specifics for the RB5009 on the web page (not listed but assume its ARM but is there a distinction between ARM 32 and ARM 64.
ALso does one installs/selects the individual packages from the list when one downloads the extra packages folder ??

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:22 pm

There's nothing special about /24, except that it's easy to work with, because if you have addresses A.B.C.D, then A.B.C stays the same and D can be anything. If you have something smaller (/25, /26, ...) then you don't have full range for D, and with something larger (/23, /22, ...) even C changes (and you don't have full range for C, unless it's /16 or larger). So /24 is nice and simple and that's the reason why it's popular choice for LANs.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Yes SOB, just added to my certification course.
That funny looking thing we have to use in format xx.xx.xx.xx /xx
Is called octal blocks I think and a mask.

The concept I was not grasping is that the mask describes the bucket the octal block identifier is contained within.
So my two ISPs with /20 /22 are telling me via the octal blocks this is your particular IP within a range of 4000+ or 1000+ IPs

spynappels
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:50 pm

It is possible that your ISP actually needs you to set up a PPPoE connection and will assign you an IP by DHCP or you can specify the Public IP and netmask then.

I have worked with quite a few ISPs and for FTTH it has always used PPPoE.

In any case, it looks like it will be Monday before you'll get the definitive answer.

sutrus
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:56 pm

/ip address
add address=XX.XXX.XXX.142/24 interface=ether1 network=XX.XXX.XXX.0
/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=XX.XXX.XXX.1 routing-table=main \
    suppress-hw-offload=no

The IP address is strange and the routes are not complete.
/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway="IP gateway of your ISP" routing-table=main \
    suppress-hw-offload=no

/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address="ISP network/xx" gateway=" Your IP address" routing-table=main \
    suppress-hw-offload=no

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 am

Yeah something smells fishy........

zimast
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Ok guys, you want believe what was the issue. They say they had to re-register me because of replacement of ZTE router to ZTE converter and there was problem with optical connectivity (PON LED blinking), something like syncing issue with gateway. After applying their magic I was able to easily configure static IP on WAN interface and it started working. Thank you very much again. One little downside is that speed is around 600 mbps instead of like 900 mbps I could reach with ZTE router before (maybe because it has built in GPON termination?). At least I have my Tik now working and that is great.

Maybe one more question, router before was ZTEG-F680v6 4x GE and now I have Mikrotik RouterBOARD RB5009UG+S+IN. Is it possible to buy SFP module for Optical cable termination like ZTE router has built in? Thanks.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:53 pm

Ok guys, you want believe what was the issue. They say they had to re-register me because of replacement of ZTE router to ZTE converter and there was problem with optical connectivity (PON LED blinking), something like syncing issue with gateway. After applying their magic I was able to easily configure static IP on WAN interface and it started working. Thank you very much again. One little downside is that speed is around 600 mbps instead of like 900 mbps I could reach with ZTE router before (maybe because it has built in GPON termination?). At least I have my Tik now working and that is great.

Maybe one more question, router before was ZTEG-F680v6 4x GE and now I have Mikrotik RouterBOARD RB5009UG+S+IN. Is it possible to buy SFP module for Optical cable termination like ZTE router has built in? Thanks.
Possibly?
The 5009 is unique in that it has a 2.5gig port and an sfp+ port.
I think the 2.5 may be well suited to deal with a gpon of 1.25 up to 2.5 gigs at least more so than a 10gig transceiver.
I would spend more time researching exactly what the ISP is providing in terms of outputs etc....

The unknown is what is your Router connected to now and how??

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 pm

SFP modules for GPON do exist, but as I understand it, they can be quite tricky, it's not as something like ethernet, where everything automatically works with everything else. At home I have the same ZTE F601 as you, and I was thinking about replacing it with SFP module, but the more I read about it, the more I think that current solution is not that bad. If nothing else, it definitely works.

I can't say whether the converter could be a bottleneck. I wouldn't expect it, but I can't prove it. My internet is "only" 500Mbit, and currently I can't get that, because router handles only about 350Mbit max. But even that is so fast for me that I'm not pressured enough to replace current router. :)