Community discussions

MikroTik App

rotamonkey
just joined
Topic Author

v7 PPPOE Upload Speeds Limited

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:43 am

Hi There,
I have a Mikrotik Audience - the connection is L2 Bridged TP-Link Archer VDSL -> Mikrotik Audience (Router/ Firewall) and I'm having serious bandwidth bottlenecking issues at the Mikrotik device.

Ideally I would like the Audience to do everything Layer 3 but I am having significant issues with some type of throttling with PPPOE on the Mikrotik, If I just connect the Mikrotik downstream with the TP-Link handling L3 termination then the issue doesn't occur. Ideally I'd like to avoid two layer 3 devices inline unnecessarily but I cant get the PPPOE to work on the Mikrotik without significant throttling, link is tested at 100/40 with PPPOE on the Mikrotik I get 70/7 max. I initially assumed some type of auto-negotiation issue but haven't been able to resolve. Initially I had been able to get it to a point of being bearable with the stable software but I've currently switched to v7 and the results are obvious. Is there a known issue with PPPOE or is it recommended to rebuild from scratch instead of upgrading to v7? I would like to use Wireguard so I don't have the option with the old software so I'm starting to get sick of working around this problem, was going to upgrade to RB5009 so I need to figure this out sooner or later.

I have confirmed all settings on the upstream device are fine, MTU has been checked and confirmed OK, no queues except default. I have holidays next week so I am looking to connect a Cisco or Juniper device in place to fully confirm but I just wanted to reach out in case there is something I am missing or there is a known bug with PPPOE?

thekrzos

Re: v7 PPPOE Upload Speeds Limited

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:02 pm

PPPoE works fine on v7

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Indeed, I am using v7.1 and I do not have that issue. PPPoE achieves the full speed of the connection.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:31 pm

Please use Cisco or Juniper, I'm sure those will fix your upload speed.

rotamonkey
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:16 pm

Please use Cisco or Juniper, I'm sure those will fix your upload speed.
Well at least it may give me some idea as to which mikrotik application is limiting the speed... I guess I called this fanboi response on by providing no decent evidence. If I can isolate, I'll provide evidence.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:10 pm

ipq401x can handle 300Mbps+ over PPPoE even without fasttrack. (Tested on hAP ac2).
Yes, it sucks for IPv6 since all IPv6 traffic seems the be done only on ONE core, but that was the case with v6 too, and even so it can do over 200Mbps over IPv6 / PPPoE, no issues on IPv4.
So I doubt that your issue is something device specific.
You didn't check (or not provided) CPU usage/profile during the test. (maybe something from your config eats all the available resources).
You did not check CPU frequency during the test. (maybe the auto frequency doesn't work right, you can try the default of 716MHz).
You did not provide an anonymized config export.
Go with Cisco or Juniper seems like a legit response, sorry.
Not fanboi related.

rotamonkey
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:35 am

ipq401x can handle 300Mbps+ over PPPoE even without fasttrack. (Tested on hAP ac2).
Yes, it sucks for IPv6 since all IPv6 traffic seems the be done only on ONE core, but that was the case with v6 too, and even so it can do over 200Mbps over IPv6 / PPPoE, no issues on IPv4.
So I doubt that your issue is something device specific.
You didn't check (or not provided) CPU usage/profile during the test. (maybe something from your config eats all the available resources).
You did not check CPU frequency during the test. (maybe the auto frequency doesn't work right, you can try the default of 716MHz).
You did not provide an anonymized config export.
Go with Cisco or Juniper seems like a legit response, sorry.
Not fanboi related.
Thanks, I'll check the CPU stats, if I wasn't interested in Mikrotik development I wouldn't have posted here to start with. I'll have some time next week to provide back to back testing.

rotamonkey
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:08 pm

Just to alleviate any concerns about v7, this was a premature post, I did some back to back testing and it is definitely the ISP equipment having an issue, Not V7 at fault...