[MAC] requires more rates than we support

Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:34 am

Hello

There was similar topic "requires more rates than we support"

Some investigation
ROS: 6.49.1
RB: mAP lite
WLAN mode=station

If I choice "band=2ghz-b/g/n", it connect to ew MT, iphone, android AP etc. Correct
If I choice "band=2ghz-g/n" (without "B"), it connect only to MT AP. To other AP it not connecting with debug: "wireless,debug wlan-WAN: XXXXXXXX requires more rates than we support". Even if iPhone, Android broadcast "g" network

I don't know if this is a future or bug. Just I leave it for info

Setting "band=2ghz-b/g/n" fix connection problem to any APs

Best

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [MAC] requires more rates than we support

Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:21 am

If I understand well ....
The mAP Lite connects to a Mikrotik, with b/g/n and with g/n
The mAP Lite connects to mobile hotspot (iPhone, Android) only when b/g/n is selected, not with g/n

There are basic rates, and supported rates. The client (mAP Lite) must support ALL basic rates from the AP, and must support at least some supported rates from the AP.
The basic data rates are mandatory, so the client device must be able to meet the data rate set to basic at minimum for a connection to form.

If nothing is changed in the mAP Lite , the mAP Lite will support basic rate 1Mbps is b is selected, and 6 Mbps if g/n is selected.
By selecting g/n then 1,2,5.5,11 are not in the list.
There are quite some combinations: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... Rate_table
Be carefull with the "default" versus "configured" list, even untouched configured is different from default.

The mobile AP (iPhone and Android hotspot) seem to request "b", and the corresponding 1 Mbps basic rate.
Normally you will change those mobile AP's, and remove the "b".

slvnet
Topic Author

Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:04 am

If I understand well ....
The mAP Lite connects to a Mikrotik, with b/g/n and with g/n
The mAP Lite connects to mobile hotspot (iPhone, Android) only when b/g/n is selected, not with g/n
Yes
There was problem connect mLite at coffeehouse, to they's AP
I back to home, made investigation
It's seems in g/n mode mLite will connect only to MT, but will not connect to any other AP (iphone, android, or any AP they have at coffeehouse).

I have no different AP than MT at home so cannot check eg tp-link, cisco APs

At b/g/n it works in any cases

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 pm

It doesn't make any sense to impose any limits on station. As @bpwl wrote, station has to follow whatever AP requests. And if connection allows advanced (g/n) communication, it will mostly be used, so possible lower rates won't be used anyway.

slvnet
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 am

It doesn't make any sense to impose any limits on station. As @bpwl wrote, station has to follow whatever AP requests. And if connection allows advanced (g/n) communication, it will mostly be used, so possible lower rates won't be used anyway.
Yes. Sure.
It was interesting, why it not connect. For education purposes

and #2.
This mLite is a travel MT. So, from one site (station) it conenct to public AP (hotel, restaurant etc). After then it create VAP for my usage. That's why I limit my VAP to g/n

Now I back to b/g/n