Community discussions

MikroTik App

MooseOnTheLoose
just joined
Topic Author

VPN over cellular personal hotspot

Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:24 pm

Hi yall,

I am still learning about networking, but currently looking to get this vpn working for holiday travel.
Device: RB4011iGS
What I am trying to do: VPN into my home network and have access to all things including the ability to rd to my desktop or ssh into my raspberry pi through my phone's personal hotspot.
What I have done so far: So far I have setup a vpn through the quick set menu and it is currently working. I can enable the vpn on my iphone through cellular and access my home network no problem.
What I am having trouble with: I figured that there are 2 options. Connect my laptop to my phone via personal hotspot and 1: vpn with the phone or 2: vpn with the laptop. I have tried both, but my laptop cannot access any of my home devices. An indication that I am connected is that my internet browsing is utilizing the pihole that I have setup on my home network.

I would like to get this sorted out if possible and if it's not I would like to understand why. Also, if there is some documentation or a video on this, please share. I would like to learn what and why I am doing something rather than just following a recipe.

Thanks!

RobWX1N
just joined

Re: VPN over cellular personal hotspot

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:59 pm

I've had issues with some cellular providers blocking some VPNs; however, if you're sure you're connected and browsing out through your home internet connection when connected remotely via VPN, that's probably not your issue.

Is your remote computer getting an internal IP address on a different subnet than the rest of your home network perhaps? If so, perhaps you need to either masquerade the VPN subnet, or have the VPN server give your computer an IP in the same subnet as the rest of your home devices.

I'm by no means an expert, so if someone with more experience wants to jump in, by all means do so. I just saw no one had responded yet, and I do have a working VPN server on my home MikroTik, so I thought I'd see if I could help.

Rob

spynappels
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 am

What VPN are you using? Is it a routed or bridged VPN, so are you getting an IP from your LAN on the VPN connection, or a separate IP which the router routes?

I have a very similar setup using Wireguard that works perfectly, but I have the Wireguard client installed on all devices from which I need to access the LAN (like your option 2).
Having a routed VPN allows the Internet traffic that you feed through it to be firewalled differently to LAN traffic through the same tunnel. A bridged tunnel can allow this too, but you then need to start setting up static DHCP leases and such and it becomes more complex imho.

Can you elaborate on how the VPN is configured?

MooseOnTheLoose
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:16 am

Just wanted to finally follow up on this. The vpn setup on the Router was placing my laptop in a different subnet and my firewall/nat settings were blocking my access. My phone had a static ip and was getting put on the main home subnet and that is why it was working. After setting my laptop up with a static ip, it gets put on my main subnet and works fine.