Community discussions

MikroTik App

ak1001
just joined
Topic Author

Wireguard manual

Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:10 am

Recently installed v 7.1 at home and trying to setup Wireguard following https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WireGuard

I got wireguard up (all steps by manual) and connected to peer in office (pfsense) and all is working from mikrotik himself, (pinging to peer and lan behind peer from wireguard interface) but not from LAN

Only after i have added masquarade rule in NAT for out interface wireguard, i was able to connect to peer from my home lan. And i'm not sure it was right (i'm not an expert)

So, why this step is ommited in manual? Is my setup so unique that it is not needed in general (i have simple ppooe wan and default lan) ?

Is it analogue to
PostUp = iptables -A FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -A FORWARD -o %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
?

Also mikrotik manual have some differences compared to wireguard site , and it not so clear for not an expert to find why something is not working as expected while reading different instructions

thanks

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireguard manual

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:51 am

If routing is set up correctly there is no need for a masquerading rule.
Have a look on your setup on both sides... I guess you missed a static route and/or matching network in peer's allowed-address.

ak1001
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireguard manual

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 pm

update.

i was unable to setup mikrotik-pfsense site-to-site wireguard tunnel,
so i bought another mikrotik and tested wireguard mikrotik to mikrotik and it is working as expected when set up by manual
thanks, my bad

Is there some info about how many peers site-to-site can be (or suggested) in one tunnel ?