Community discussions

MikroTik App

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Positional Arguments in Array Function - $0 vs $1?

Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Ran into a curious bug, or feature, using functions with arguments when the function is stored as a named array element. But it took me a while to at understand what's happening – maybe it helps someone else.

Functions can take parameters, which can be positional or named. Normally "positional" ones start at $1 for the first parameter to a function. Since a function can be an element of an array, they too can take parameters just like one a global (or local) function. This all works fine (with correct bracing).

But when the function is run from the array using [($array->"fn") hello], the parameter "hello" is at $0, not the expected $1. With multiple parameters, what would be $2 at global scoped function, is $1 when function is defined within an array. Basically, whether the first argument is $0 or $1, depends on where it lives. Even mixin a named parameter still works, the positional arguments are just shifted by one and key=value ones work anywhere as usual.

I'd say it's a bug, but more subtle than that. But I can see the logic: An array function is more like anonymous function is CS terms, while global function is a command (commands have name, a name is an argument) – so the first argument known to the function is always $0, which could be it's name if available.

However, this logic was quite subtle to figure out since I couldn't tell why the same function acted differently when cut-and-pasting code from a global to array – I didn't notice they were just shift: they just looked wrong/old/sometime and obviously cause code that expected a $1="yes" not $1=nil. Fix was simple: use $0 when a function is defined in an array.

I think this shows the issue I ran into (although more obvious in the example than in real scripts):
:global hello
:set $hello do={:put "$0 $1"}
$hello world
#>>            $hello world

:global greetings [toarray ""]
:set ($greetings->"hello") do={:put "hello $1 "}
[($greetings->"hello") world]
#>>                                     hello
{ /terminal style error; put "expected: 'hello world' not just 'hello' string"; /terminal style none }   

# use $0 instead, works: 
:set ($greetings->"hello") do={:put "hello $0"}
[($greetings->"hello") world]
#>>                                       hello world
This is with v7.1. But same holds on long-term v6. Not necessarily asking for a "fix", but it is a pretty weird.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Positional Arguments in Array Function - $0 vs $1?

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:44 pm

Using named arguments/parameters mixed with positional ones to same function, all still works same as global – just positional args start at $0, and here $1 is the 2nd positional argument (and the named argument "prefix" can be anywhere).

:global greetings [toarray ""]
:set ($greetings->"hello") do={:put "$0 $prefix $1"}
[($greetings->"hello") hello world prefix=mx]
#>>                                             hello mx world
[($greetings->"hello") prefix=mrs hello world]
#>>                                             hello mrs world
[($greetings->"hello") hello prefix=mr world]
#>>                                             hello mr world

and yeah with a global it has to be $1 and $2 respectively.
:global hello do={:put "$1 $prefix $2"}
[$hello hello world prefix=mx]
#>>                                             hello mx world
[$hello prefix=mrs hello world]
#>>                                             hello mrs world
[$hello hello prefix=mr world]
#>>                                             hello mr world

For me the "named arguments" (e.g. [$myfunction val1=me myvar2=1]) are pretty easy, now when the get mixed that's where I ran into trouble – but using $0 in "array function" as 1st positional argument help me work though my scripts.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Positional Arguments in Array Function - $0 vs $1?

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Since I went down this rabbit hole. Where this get might get strange is re-assignment of the function itself (not the value) between a global and array element...

Wrote a small script to verify the logic. So it does seem by assigning a function to array in any way – defining it via a do={} or using a "function variable" doesn't matter – by virtue of calling it though the array syntax it seem to shift the $0 $1 et'll parameter meanings. Not 100% sure but seems to be right.

Maybe hard to understand – posted mainly as double-check of this.

# global function to reassign
:global echo do={ :put "[ echo \$0=$0 \$1=$1 ]"; :return "$1"; }
:put [$echo "it works from echo"]

# array function to reassign
:global funarray [toarray ""];
:set ($funarray->"echo") do={ :put "[ (arr)->echo \$0=$0 \$1=$1 ]"; :return "$0"}
:put [($funarray->"echo") "it works from funarray"]

# reassign code of global $echo as array element
:set ($funarray->"aliasfn") $echo
{/terminal style error; :put [($funarray->"aliasfn") "1st arg is not out"]; /terminal style none}
:put [($funarray->"aliasfn") 0 "2nd arg to the caller"]
# ...only the "2nd arg" works - it's looking for $1 which is actually the 2nd calling arg

# reassign function from array and set it on a global
:global aliasfn
:set $aliasfn ($funarray->"aliasfn")
{/terminal style error; :put [($aliasfn) "1st arg is not output"]; /terminal style none}
:put [($aliasfn) 0 "2nd arg to the caller"]
# ...recall the orginal echo is looking for $1 in output, the array assignment loses the command
#    and why adding 0 above helps to make the 2nd arg be $1