Community discussions

MikroTik App

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Proper Thread Titles

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:03 pm

If your intended Title seems to blame or attribute anything but the configurator/admin then please use the following syntax:

I AM AN IDIOT (VersX.X): " followed by what you buggered up "

Ex
From
Wireguard limited in 7.1 - I can only run 3 interfaces

TO
I AM AN IDIOT (7.1S): Tried to configure 5 WG interfaces but can only make 3.

(its a slow weekend, just entertaining myself)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Proper Thread Titles  [SOLVED]

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:28 pm

Few other useful advices:

If you can't come up with good title, don't use the lazy variation of "I need help", and definitely don't dig up some ten years old thread and continue there, because you liked its title.

Advanced topic:

If you don't want your whole router and network reconfigured from scratch, try to invent title that will not attract @anav, because most of his advices start with "well, I don't really know, but let's start with changing all config to match mine, and we'll see after that" (but not admitted directly like this). But it's tricky, because he seems to read and comment on everything. ;)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Proper Thread Titles

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:21 pm

Few other useful advices:

If you can't come up with good title, don't use the lazy variation of "I need help", and definitely don't dig up some ten years old thread and continue there, because you liked its title.

Advanced topic:

If you don't want your whole router and network reconfigured from scratch, try to invent title that will not attract @anav, because most of his advices start with "well, I don't really know, but let's start with changing all config to match mine, and we'll see after that" (but not admitted directly like this). But it's tricky, because he seems to read and comment on everything. ;)
To read my posts is to love me, or something like that......... Clearly you are reading all my posts sometimes multiple times he says blushing.......
Truth be told I should be paying a bunch of experts here as I call them my "cleanup crew" Fixing all my twisted suggestions!!

Yes, natural curiosity, no stone left unturned, the weakness of someone who figures he knows nothing and may learn something from every single thread.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:01 am

I'm following this thread just to be sure not to miss any goodies :lol:

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:40 am

@anav: One day I'll send you an invoice, and then I'll be able to go for early retirement. That's if I don't end up in prison, because when bank sees the sum, they'll think that I'm laundering some drug money or something. :)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:19 am

Honestly this thread title should be changed to "Anav is bored and wonders how to properly title a topic" as current one is kind of an oxymoron.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:27 am

(its a slow weekend, just entertaining myself)
More like slow year...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:08 pm

I was hoping someone would notice the GRINCH connection here- one of my favourite lines from the movie....... It is that time of the year LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWIVdxYm3HM

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Anav is comin' to town ... https://youtu.be/dBB-SEwUVPY?t=3

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Okay next up on DARWIN Titles.....
"v6.49 cut me off - invalid username or password (rant)"

Supporting cast comments
"WARNING: password policy changes, users who use default login and don't set a new password within XX days after upgrading will lose access to their devices!".

MickelC
just joined

Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Honestly this thread title should be changed to "Anav is bored and wonders how to properly title a topic" as current one is kind of an oxymoron.
LOL. You nailed it

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:41 am

RouterOS ignores port forwarding options
Hello, I've got hAP mini, and try to set up port forwarding, but RouterOS ignores it. RouterOS adds rule to iptables, some packets pass and trigger counters, but I still have connection timeout. On local interface server responds correctly. Is there any way to fix it? I run RouterOS 6.49.2 stable.

Yup that mini is a bad boy or is it RoS, with awful behaviour and needs to be punished.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 am

Content is even more interesting, showing how some people think. "I configured something, won't tell you how, but tell me how to fix it." Erm, don't you think that showing what you did could be useful?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:48 am

Details, details, ...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 am

Content is even more interesting, showing how some people think. "I configured something, won't tell you how, but tell me how to fix it."

Reminds me of how things used to be in a (now no existing any more) communist country some 30+ years ago: there was a secret official publication, which normal people were prohibited from seeing. However, the fact one didn't know a law published in that official publication did not mean one didn't have to obey that law.

OTOH I guess those users think slightly differently: "I've configured something and it's completely correct. However, this evil device doesn't want to do what I thought it should be doing. MT, fix this device!" Primary schools should teach people to read (and understand) verbosely (instead they teach people to guess what the artist was thinking while creating something). Since women tend to understand things orthogonally to what's said or written I guess the education outcome is a consequence of education being feminized in many parts of the world ... (don't get me wrong, this is not entirely bad thing to happen, but sometimes one wonders).

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 pm

But it's not so difficult to understand that if I want some useful response, I need to provide some info to work with. It's like phoning to car repair shop, telling them that I fiddled with car's engine, without telling them what exactly I did, and expecting them to tell me how to fix it. With cars, people would understand (I guess?) that it can't work like this, why don't they understand it with routers? :)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:35 pm

But it's not so difficult to understand that if I want some useful response, I need to provide some info to work with. It's like phoning to car repair shop, telling them that I fiddled with car's engine, without telling them what exactly I did, and expecting them to tell me how to fix it. With cars, people would understand (I guess?) that it can't work like this, why don't they understand it with routers? :)
I assume arrogance! when it appears to be someone with tons of experience and frustration on the part of newbies, but in both cases comical and amusing.
Then I think, did I do that, was I like that? Some days that works and I am patient, other days my inner acerbic llama comes out. :-)