Community discussions

MikroTik App

iScape
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Is there any way (and sense) to adjust R11e-LTE6 to dB/dBi of attached external antenna to improve LTE stability?

Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:11 pm

I've tried to attached external antenna to my Audience LTE6 kit, got some stability/performance improvements (though main reason for external antenna is to "get out" of house "sealing" including windows with metal-glazed glass).

So I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to adjust R11e-LTE6 behavior to new antenna?

Thank you!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is there any way (and sense) to adjust R11e-LTE6 to dB/dBi of attached external antenna to improve LTE stability?

Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:52 pm

LTE works on wide variety of frequency bands ... starting as low as 700 MHz and up to 3.5 GHz. Most antennae don't cover that range and even if they do, their performance is often suboptimal in certain parts of spectrum. So it is important to choose antenna which works decently good in frequency bands used for your particular connection.

Most of decent antennae are directional and it is important to point the antenna in direction which gives best signal quality (RSRQ as close to zero as it gets) with good signal strength (RSCP is always negative, aim is to have it least negative). Sometimes link performs better with slightly lower RSCP but with better RSRQ. Interference degrades RSRQ but directiinal antenna can kill interference if pointed appropriately).

There's nothing you can do by tuning parameters/settings if antenna is no good.

iScape
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Is there any way (and sense) to adjust R11e-LTE6 to dB/dBi of attached external antenna to improve LTE stability?

Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:26 am

LTE works on wide variety of frequency bands ... starting as low as 700 MHz and up to 3.5 GHz. Most antennae don't cover that range and even if they do, their performance is often suboptimal in certain parts of spectrum. So it is important to choose antenna which works decently good in frequency bands used for your particular connection.

Most of decent antennae are directional and it is important to point the antenna in direction which gives best signal quality (RSRQ as close to zero as it gets) with good signal strength (RSCP is always negative, aim is to have it least negative). Sometimes link performs better with slightly lower RSCP but with better RSRQ. Interference degrades RSRQ but directiinal antenna can kill interference if pointed appropriately).

There's nothing you can do by tuning parameters/settings if antenna is no good.
I respect willingness to help. Still, if to put aside all those assumptions that you've mentioned (and imply they're sorted out), is there any way (and sense) to adjust R11e-LTE6 to dB/dBi of attached external antenna to improve LTE stability?
viewtopic.php?p=897585#p897585

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is there any way (and sense) to adjust R11e-LTE6 to dB/dBi of attached external antenna to improve LTE stability?  [SOLVED]

Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:25 pm

I guess the only thing you can do is to disable CA (by locking card to selected band) ... this way you'll potentially loose some performance, but possibly gain stability.

Other than that, no you can't do much. Remember that in mobile network the number of users served by certain wireless cell and intensity of usage (by connected users) varies a lot, hence your own achievable throughput will vary a lot (depending on how your neighbours use the network, but you might get several times better throughput during early morning than you can get in the evening).

Depending on the strategy of MNO (mobile network operator) this can affect you (as stationary user) more or less. But you can't influence that other than by maximizing your own signal level which you already did by using better antenna (and I emphasized the need to place and orient antenna optimally). Many MNOs divide cell capacity (when cell is loaded) in pseudo-fair way (same air time for all users) and if you have good signal, you can transmit and receive more bits during your time slot. Some MNOs divide cell capacity in a way that maximizes overall cell throughput by prioritizing users with better signal.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:22 pm

I wasn't aware the Audience LTE6 kit had connectors for an external antenna. Anyway, rule of thumb: no line of sight to the tower, use lower frequencies as 700-900 Mhz and an antenna accordingly.

iScape
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Other than that, no you can't do much.
Ok, so R11e-LTE6 is not tune-able from external antenna fit point of view. Got it, thanks.
I was trying to maximize my part of the system.
Though that if maybe can add 15-20% to what I've already got with CA2 (90+).

Btw, I thought one can't "disable" CA on mt's LTE6.

iScape
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm

I wasn't aware the Audience LTE6 kit had connectors for an external antenna. Anyway, rule of thumb: no line of sight to the tower, use lower frequencies as 700-900 Mhz and an antenna accordingly.
You need to disassemble it first, then you get to 2x u.fl connectors.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:52 pm

Other than that, no you can't do much. Remember that in mobile network the number of users served by certain wireless cell and intensity of usage (by connected users) varies a lot, hence your own achievable throughput will vary a lot (depending on how your neighbours use the network, but you might get several times better throughput during early morning than you can get in the evening).

Depending on the strategy of MNO (mobile network operator) this can affect you (as stationary user) more or less. But you can't influence that other than by maximizing your own signal level which you already did by using better antenna (and I emphasized the need to place and orient antenna optimally). Many MNOs divide cell capacity (when cell is loaded) in pseudo-fair way (same air time for all users) and if you have good signal, you can transmit and receive more bits during your time slot. Some MNOs divide cell capacity in a way that maximizes overall cell throughput by prioritizing users with better signal.
Yeah, fair-share is almost standard among the operators nowadays.