MikroTik App

An5teifo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Different WLAN with CAPsMAN

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:13 am

Hello everyone,
I recently decided to replace my last bit of network (Unifi) with Mikrotik Audience for WLAN coverage.
Currently I am setting up my 10 Gbase-T switch (CRS312-4C+8XG-RM) to act as my CAPsMAN controller for this an probably another WLAN device.

So far I created my three different WLAN SSIDs - each with a different VLAN tag and there I have some questions:
1) VLAN Mode: is "use tag" the right one or should I select "use service-tag"?

2) Each WLAN network should have a dedicated ACL. I managed doing this via "Access List", added all the MAC addresses and the SSID to "SSID Regexp". Is this the right approach?
Should there be a "deny any" at the bottom of the ACL?

3) Two WLANs should be authenticated via an external RADIUS server while the 3rd one should be authenticated by a WPA2 PSK.

4) I would like to have a separated 4th WLAN for guest access which I can manage via User Manager. I already installed this specific package on my switch but all the "how-to" tutorials I have found online seems to be outdated.
Can anyone guide me how to set up a voucher-based hotspot manager?

Is it in general possible to use external RADIUS for WLAN 1 & 2 while using the user manager RADIUS for the guest WLAN? I have not found any option to configure that.

Thanks in advance!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Different WLAN with CAPsMAN

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:32 pm

Audience works MUCH better with the WAVE 2 drivers.

Forget about caps-man and configure the unit standalone. I got downloads in the 400+ range.

An5teifo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Different WLAN with CAPsMAN

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks for the advice - I already found help on Reddit.
The thing in general is that I do not need a very high bandwith as only my mobile phone + sometimes a laptop is connected to it.
I just wanted to have a 2.4 & 5 GHz within one device and the regular disk APs were already sold-out on Amazon.