Community discussions

MikroTik App

SergeS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

What host(s)and port(s) to be able to update firmware?

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Hello all,

my company blocks hosts/ports so I cannot automatically update mikrotik from Winbox.
IT department says they can open access, but I have to tell them what exactly resources ( host(s) : port(s) ) do I need to have opened.
What is requirements to be able to run mikrotik firmware update from Winbox? What hosts:ports should be accessible?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What host(s)and port(s) to be able to update firmware?

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 pm

So the person responsible for managing the network is not in the IT department??
This seems out of whack?

The fact that you dont know the winbox port of the router your responsible for is also out of whack!

The fact that you dont know the defaut winbox port of the MT router means your MT training is also out of whack or none existant!

SergeS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:33 pm

May be my explanation is not good enough...

Mikrotik routers (few of them) are in my possession, I am not from IT department.
I am test engineer and I am using Mikrotik routers locally, I need to test some electronic devices with ethernet, so I have test PC and such device behind the mikrotik.
I am using Mikrotik API functionality so my software can connect to Mikrotik, for example, to query device IP and MAC, and for some other purpose.
Our company network backbone is not using Mikrotiks at all, so our IT does not want to be responsible for it :-).
That is why I am asking what should I tell them to give me ability to update mikrotiks in my possession.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:33 pm

I don't know if it's officially documented, but if I check for updates in WinBox, two hostnames appear in dns cache:

upgrade.mikrotik.com
download.mikrotik.com

Edit: And tcp/80 as port.

SergeS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:06 pm

upgrade.mikrotik.com
download.mikrotik.com

Edit: And tcp/80 as port.
Thank you.

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm

If you have outgoing traffic denied policy, then no need to open ports for MT upgrades, better download firmwares according to your device architectures, upload to Files and reboot. You’ll get the same result.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:10 pm

In any case a complete clustergarbage fuck process.
Any OS software to be loaded on any device on the company should be a controlled affair.
Those are not your MT routers they are company property or should not have entered the building.
Good thing Im not in IT there, would be using my taser for emphasis ;-)

Ecnival
just joined

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:37 am

First off, neither of your comments were relevant to the question. Please limit your comments to the subject of the original post. If you want to validate your sense existence, please do it elsewhere. Secondly, most would skip over your comments after realizing it's just BS. I usually ignore comments like these, however fatuousness is becoming the new precedent. It is neither your business or responsibility, to correct how the company he is working at does things.

Good think you are not in IT here, it doesn't seem like you would fit in here with your questionable ethics.
If you don't want to help, just quietly stay in your corner.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:48 am

While I (somehow) agree with the gist of your message (we know anav around here, he's a special case :lol: but his intentions are mostly good !!), you are now responding to something almost a year old because ... ??
Last edited by holvoetn on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:50 am

Woah, digging up a topic from last year just to pick on @anav, that's something.
Congrats Mr. Ethics (Ecnival), the forum is safe now.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:33 am

@Ecnival
If you don't post something useful,
just quietly stay in your corner.
Don't do necroposting in that useless way,
and don't reply to posts that can generate even more useless posts, like this one.