Community discussions

MikroTik App

radiomean
just joined
Topic Author

LTE Cellular and IPv6 ...

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:26 am

Hi, I am trying to use R11e-LTE6 modem in RBM33G...
I have tried both the latest V6 ROS and am currently using V7.1.

My problem is that I have a EE (UK) SIM that only seems to use IPv6...
(I can use a 3 UK SIM - I am connecting using that SIM now - and IPv4 works fine).

However the EE IPv6 does not get an IP address and no data (obviously!) passes. The LTE6 modem registers sucessfully.
I'd really appreciate advice on how to setup the RBM33G to get a full 'chain' of IPv6 from the cellular modem to my client computer.

Many thanks...

radiomean
just joined
Topic Author

Re: LTE Cellular and IPv6 ...

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 am

Any thoughts?
Someone must be surely using IPv6 with a cellular connection...

Cheers!

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm

In routed setups probably not.

Mobile/cellular carriers appear to only provide a single /64 and use the RFC7278 bodge which is just about OK for a mobile with tethering or a MiFi device with a single "LAN", but useless if it is in (or connected to) a router which will require a /64 per interface. Support for prefix delegation was introduced into the 3GPP specifications, but it can take years for changes to be implemented by carriers. You might be able to use passthrough to use the single /64 on your main LAN, but IPv6 would not be available on any additional (e.g. guest) LANs, and it would need some hackery to pass through only the IPv6 and not the IPv4.

Also, a quick search of the EE forums seems to show that they are removing direct IPv4 connectivity on IPv6-capable devices and using NAT64, which Mikrotik do not implement. Unless BT/EE have changed their intended network architecture it is as shown on pages 11/12 of https://www.ipv6.org.uk/wp-content/uplo ... 801207.pdf

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Any thoughts?
Someone must be surely using IPv6 with a cellular connection...

Cheers!
Can you ping Google DNS via IPv6?
:ping 2001:4860:4860::8888

It's kinda odd how to setup. Since IPv6 is gives prefixes, while IPv4 is a single address, so MT handles them differently. On V7 at least... If you look at the APN settings under Interface>LTE>APN Profiles. Two settings are relevant: "IP Type" and "IPv6 Interface".

Maybe if you set the "IP Type" as "IPv4" instead of the default of "auto" in the "LTE APNs" dialog – EE may give you an IPv4 address...if the modem doesn't request a dual-stack configuration (which is what "auto" typically means). Thus, no need to mess with IPv6, which is sometimes wacky with LTE, as other poster reports.

If using "IPv4" as the "IP Type" in the APN DOES NOT work...and you IPv6 is all you got. You'd need to set "auto" as the IP Type again, AND set the "IPv6 Interface" where the IPv6 traffic will go, typically a bridge. You can also create a VLAN interface for the LTE IPv6 traffic. Using a VLAN as the IPv6 interface, allows you add the IPv6 to a bridge if you were using "VLAN Filtering". (I believe you can set the IPv6 Interface in the LTE APNs to the lte interface itself, but I recall some bug in V7 where that didn't work at somepoint.)

Now once you could ping something like 2001:4860:4860::8888 from the router via LTE.... You run into NAT64 stuff as other poster notes. There are third-party tunnel brokers etc to avoid this, but very confusing/complex, without NAT64 on the Mikrotik.

theprojectgroup
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 06, 2022 9:43 am

Just got IPv6 on Chateau 5G with german Vodafone over 5G working…
Clients on bridge get IPv6: viewtopic.php?t=183382