Community discussions

MikroTik App

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Creating failover PTP link with SXT only.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:37 am

Hi,

I have a robot whose PLC needs to be controlled remotely.

I am planning to use SXT5 in the AP-Client PTP configuration. The AP on the control box with a laptop and the Client on the robot connected to the PLC using a simple ethernet swtich.

But my primary issue would be to have a secondary SXT on the robot to work as a failover PTP link.

So 2 SXT on the Robot working in Client mode connected to the AP on the control box via PTP link where if one client fails.... the other SXT takes over without issue or max a couple of packet drops.

Is this possible using SXT and Routeros?

Below is a sketch to show what I am trying to achieve.
20211219_082856.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Creating failover PTP link with SXT only.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:56 am

You can try it with /ip route distance=1+ on the secondary SXT, but from my experience, it would take ~10seconds to converge

enlace101

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:31 pm

you would have to use a simple 5-port mikrotik switch
maybe 192.168.0.13/24

The best thing that has worked for me is bonding

/interface bonding
add mode=active-backup name=bonding1 primary=ether1 slaves=ether1,ether2

probably some expert can recommend bridging protocols
STP and priorities

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface="ether1" path-cost=5 priority=0x40
add bridge=bridge1 interface="ether2"

That said, I don't think all packages can be sent, sometimes packages are lost during handover.

If you are looking for a reliable wireless connection and the distance is short, I recommend using Mikrotik with more chains ... Audiencex4 chains wlan3 is very reliable for Wi-Fi.

Google translator. sorry

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:16 am

/interface bonding
add mode=active-backup name=bonding1 primary=ether1 slaves=ether1,ether2
That's a great idea and I tampered with it a bit as well. The issue is, that when the Primary stations Wlan drops, the switch will not see it, as the ether is still running and it will still try to send packages to a dead end through the ether in question. I made some scripts which enable/disable the ether ports as well, but there was still a 1-5second convergence. I would recommend also checking OSPF features or VLANs, as there definitely should be a solution with no lag

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:02 pm

ARP link monitoring (instead of MII) should be able to detect a down path (e.g. WLAN dropped). ARP link monitoring will be slower in detection than MII. https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... monitoring

If "AP-bridge" is used at the CPE-AP and "station-bridge" is used at the SXT's , then this is one normal L2 network. So RSTP can be used as selector, when bridge priorities are set correctly.
(Bonding is considered better than RSTP in failover timing.)