Community discussions

MikroTik App

oxtan
Topic Author

capsman newbie

Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:14 pm

hi,
I have a RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT that is my main router. It has quite a bit of config (vpns, dhcp pools, firewall settings, etc). Great little thing.

Now I would like to add a hpa ac 2 on a different floor to improve the wifi upstairs, and the capsman seems like a great way to do it.
As I understand it, I need to manage all the wifi sids from the capsman, so I need to manage the wlan1,2,3 in the RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT on the capsman. Then I can add the new device, and it will automatically detect the settings and use them.

Will my firewall rules/vpns/dhcp pools now on the RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT be kept? I mean, yes I have backups, but ..., well, a bit afraid of stuff going wrong at a home with 3 teenagers and covid intensive internet usage ;-)

Hominidae

Re: capsman newbie

Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:27 pm

Yes, capsman will not alter the config of the main router, but you need to have a firewall rule in place to enable capsman to talk to the local ip (input chain, action=accept, dst-ip=127.0.0.1).
Check, as it should be there by default.

To be honest, for a single WiFi AP, even with 2-4 SSIDs, capsman ist not required.
Just wipe the hap-ac2, create a local bridge, add all ethernet porst to it, enable a dhcp-client and add also all wlan interfaces, as you create them with SSIDs (and VLANs, if required).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 pm

JAJAJA do you really want to commit suicide by fratricide???...............

Forget CAPSMAN, you only have two devices one is already configured.
Just put the second device in WISP AP mode ( cap etc) and configure it without worrying................. or not and you prefer getting kicked out of the house.

Don't say i didn't warn you, and yes I will do a little jig on your grave! :-)

By the way how many wlans do you use and do you use vlans (I am the vlan Borg).

za7
just joined

Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:27 pm

So where is the actual documentation on this topic?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:44 pm

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... =1Q7RFKQWN

But bring tanning lotion cause one is going straight to hell on a slippery slope, once the family figures out the internet issues are self inflicted. ;-)

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:36 pm

Caps-man is easy to deal with once you know a little about it.

Client connectivity... That's a different issue entirely.

I avoid using CAPS Forwarding, as it makes the system even slower.

But once you have a decent config for wireless... And an accept rule on your router...

Caps-man managing of other radios is quick!

You press and hold reset on the remote radio until the lights flash, and they go to caps mode.
Or
You can log into the radio and select system reset and caps-mode. (Also really easy to do that at command line.)

Assuming the radio is in the same broadcast domain...
Set up caps for create enable and set up your profiles.

Caps added to your LAN automagically connect and get their config from the router. You log into your router (caps controller) select the radios and make adjustments in real time.

You can see all sorts of connected client information in near instant real time feedback.

Change an SSID... Change it in the profile and it's site wide in seconds. Change a password... Same thing. Make a password for a specific Mac address and add it to the cap controller ACL... You guessed it... It works right away.

As I state all the time... If Mikrotik radios could actually keep my client's devices connected... I would not have been out thousands of dollars. And lost a lot of clients.

I have given in, and went back to our prior wireless vendor. Never hear a complaint past the initial... "Those wireless access points are kind of expensive."

See the customer gets surprised by the fact that we can do routing and switching so much cheaper than MOST OF OUR COMPETITION. But when it comes to the wireless... Our WAPs are about the same as everyone else (UniF--kers Acception), price wise.