Community discussions

MikroTik App

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

UK Remove the Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) requirements from channels used by Wi-Fi in the 5.8 GHz band 5725-5850

Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:55 pm

Hi Mikrotik,

Can this be added to ROS7 please:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... tement.pdf

The United Kingdom Regulator has made the decision to remove the DFS requirements for 5725 Mhz to 5850 Mhz for indoor use, pdf above
Remove the Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) requirements from channels used by Wi-Fi in
the 5.8 GHz band (5725-5850 MHz). DFS requires a router to scan for radars and to switch
channel if suspected radar transmissions are detected. DFS can therefore represent a constraint
for equipment manufacturers regarding quality of service and throughput as well as being the
cause of connection delays for users. We are amending the requirements on this band on the
basis that the risk of undue interference from indoor Wi-Fi use is extremely low. The removal of
DFS will increase its use for indoor wireless applications and help reduce congestion in other
bands.
Therefore if I choose to skip all DFS channels, my 5ghz wifi should allow me to choose 5160 Mhz to 5240 Mhz or 5725 Mhz to 5850 Mhz in the UK in an indoor setting.
If I choose to skip all at present, I'm only offered 5160 to 5240, if I choose to disable the skip DFS, I end up in this new range 5725 to 5850.

At the moment I'm having to disable skip DFS, any chance this could be fixed soon?