Community discussions

MikroTik App

mux2hot
just joined
Topic Author

Carrier Aggregation

Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi!

Basically in my location are available only B3 and B20, and as soon as both bands are enabled I am going to experience connection instability. It looks like modem constantly tries to connect to a new cell, but connects back to old one or swaps cells between Primary Band and CA band. During that time link is up up but IP packages don't go thru during 5-10 sec. Only solution was to disable B20 and enable B3 only.

I wonder is the problem on modem side or telco side. Is CA driven by modem or by tower (telco)?

I noticed a comment where it was mentioned that LHGG doesn't work well on B20. Can this be a reason for instability? At least according to service provider they cannot see any problem on their side.

Sadly I haven't found any solution how to enable CA (B3 + B20).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Carrier Aggregation

Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:44 am

CA is driven by telco based on modem's measurements (reported to cell tower). However, if modem performance is not really aligned to its own measurements (does happen with certain modem/FW combos), then telco-driven performance isn't good.

What are measurements on both carriers? RSRP, RSRQ and cell bandwidth give pretty good estimate of maximum possible performance of each cell, could be that CA doesn't really bring any benefits over using single carrier.