Community discussions

MikroTik App

notpoetry
just joined
Topic Author

Forward RB951-2n DHCP requests from WiFi and other interfaces to ISP modem DHCP server

Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:33 pm

Hello,
I am struggling to configure this. I don't know if I am just stupid or it is not possible to do this.

Basically I have ISP modem that is the DHCP server. I want it to be the only DHCP server on the network. ISP modem also has PPPoE connection established and it should be the only device that is establishing PPPoE connection. I want to forward all DHCP requests that happen on all RB951-2n interfaces to the ISP modem DHCP server.

ISP modem - IP 192.168.1.1 created DHCP reservation for RB951-2n IP 192.168.1.4

On interface ether1 is the network connection from ISP modem. I don't want RB951-2n to do anything other than just forward DHCP requests and traffic to ISP modem.

I have tried to configure DHCP relay server but no matter what I set it does not work. I am not getting the IP address on the devices when I try to connect to RB951-2n.

Here are the images of my current configuration:
Image Image

EDIT: Thanks for all the advice it's solved. Like you said it was just necessary to set as router mode and it worked fine.
Last edited by notpoetry on Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Forward RB951-2n DHCP requests from WiFi and other interfaces to ISP modem DHCP server

Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:32 pm

Is sounds like you want your RB as transparent AP or switch. It doesn't require any special config, simply bridge all ports together and that's it. You don't need any dhcp relay.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Forward RB951-2n DHCP requests from WiFi and other interfaces to ISP modem DHCP server

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Correction the ISP device is not a modem, its a modem/router.
As Sob noted there is very little to be done.

post your config and we can figure out where your errors may be
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish