Community discussions

MikroTik App

InfiniG
just joined
Topic Author

Help Configuring LTE Modem

Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:11 am

Hello All,

I'm working with a MikroTik wAP LTE kit with updated RouterOS 7.1.1. I've managed to get the LTE Modem connected and pulled down an IP from my ISP, however, I cannot get internet connectivity. Also, even with the LTE Modem registered/connected I'm unable to check LTE firmware on the Mikrotik servers (unable to resolve DNS, even with Static DNS set).

The plan is to have the LTE Modem bridged with DHCP server on the bridge for any device connecting wirelessly or by ether. Any help is appreciated, as I'm stuck after trying a bunch. I've reset several times, used the quick set method, reset and done it manually, still no internet.

Any help is appreciated!

(See attached export for full details)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help Configuring LTE Modem

Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:34 pm

Checking from my mobile, so a bit difficult...

What I already see:
- time/ date is very wrong on your device. Not necessarily a problem now, but can cause problems further on. Try to enable ntp client. Cloud ip using time sync or set date/time manually.
- is there no other dns server then local ip ? Try to set one manually if it does not come from your isp.
Test on terminal. If ping 8.8.8.8 works, you got internet connection. If ping www.google.com does not work, you have a dns issue.
- detect internet: usually causes problems. Disable.
- check in ip/route there is effectively a default route towards LTE. If not, set it manually for now.

Probably there are other things to check.

InfiniG
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi @holvoetn,

I've updated the time manually for now. And disabled all detect-internet settings.

Internet Ping for either 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com both timeout, so LTE is still unable to pass internet.

IP/Route has the following:
default route [0.0.0.0/0] using lte1 gateway
Route with dist addr provided by ISP using lte1 gateway
Route on bridge using 192.168.0/24 using bridge gateway

I've been fiddling with the DHCP server, and routes and still coming up empty. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, any other thoughts?

Thanks

hendra
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Checking from my mobile, so a bit difficult...

What I already see:
- time/ date is very wrong on your device. Not necessarily a problem now, but can cause problems further on. Try to enable ntp client. Cloud ip using time sync or set date/time manually.
- is there no other dns server then local ip ? Try to set one manually if it does not come from your isp.
Test on terminal. If ping 8.8.8.8 works, you got internet connection. If ping www.google.com does not work, you have a dns issue.
- detect internet: usually causes problems. Disable.
- check in ip/route there is effectively a default route towards LTE. If not, set it manually for now.

Probably there are other things to check.
iam trying this too sometime works, sometimes not. do u have another advice?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:58 pm

How do you know then your modem is connected and you got an ip address?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:29 pm

There is clearly a need for a useful user article for LTE............

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm not at home and my lte device in France is currently off power so can't see what it should be.

InfiniG
Have you tried that SIM card in another device or smartphone ? Did it work there ?

Out of the top of my head...
Please provide
/ip address print
/interface lte print verbose

Maybe that'll help to find some more issues.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:24 pm

There is clearly a need for a useful user article for LTE............
Perhaps, but normally QuickSet is your friend here with the LTE devices. It lets you set the APN, and shows the signal levels and connected status...

BUT, (at least) one gotcha, is QuickSet doesn't show a checkbox for "Use Network APN" (QS should actually disable it if someone changes "internet" to something else IMO)

See the "Use Network APN" option is in Interface>LTE>LTE APNs>default is, normally checked/enabled. This is a critical option for MBIM modems (assuming that's what he has), since it can be translated to "Use APN from SIM card" – problem is a lot of time the SIM card doesn't have that information OR is wrong. And, not sure the exact rules, but if there is one AND wrong, it WON'T use the name you set.

Since "broadband" typically AT&T's APN, it won't accept "internet" as default AND sometimes the SIM doesn't have the right APN.

Also be good to know the specific modem... Particularly since firmware may need to be upgrade. If Mikrotik modem, there is an option to do on the LTE interface, pretty simple check/do if not done already. That is with the exception of the R11e-LTE-US, at v12.x, a firmware upgrade is a very manual process.

The only suggestion is trying 7.2rc1.

InfiniG
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:15 am

@holvoetn, the lte connection status can be viewed from the lte interface page, this includes connection status; strength, retrieved IP, and SIM registration status [current operator AT&T, registration: Registered w/ full functionality].

@Anav, I'm new to Mikrotik and it's Forum Community, but yes it appears an LTE article would be helpful as details are light within the Mikrotik Wiki and outdated. Primary example, at-chat commands for my lte modem are not in the correct syntax, and are sparse to actually work.

@Amm0, the LTE APN is set to "broadband" and the option "Use APN from SIM card" is unchecked for this specific setting, still no internet to the bridge or connected devices. Model: R11e-LTE-US Revision: R11eL_v05.03.183961, can't update it unless I pull down the firmware manually and use winbox as the lte is throwing a DNS error when running:
/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1
return: status: error: connection timeout (6)

Next is to try 7.2rc1 instead of the current v7.1.1.
Last edited by InfiniG on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

InfiniG
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Help Configuring LTE Modem  [SOLVED]

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:39 am

Confirmed: Upgrading to v7.2rc1 has solved the connection issue, reviewing the changelog I suspect this bug fix
*) lte - fixed packet forwarding on R11e-4G and R11e-LTE-US;
may have been the culprit as lte interface indicated receiving packets but no packets transmitted.

Thank you @Ammo and everyone that posted your help!