Community discussions

MikroTik App

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

WinBox - Unable to Connect by MAC Address

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:07 am

I am unable to connect to my hAP ac3 with WinBox by MAC address. When I press the refresh button in the neighbor tab, I don't see any devices. I could swear that my device was there when I first pulled it out of the box but I honestly don't remember. I am running WinBox 3.31 in Wine on Pop_OS 21.10 currently. I'm also running 7.1.1 on the router. Could Wine have something to do with this? I've been using safe mode so that I don't lock myself out but I would feel much better if I knew that I could connect to the device by MAC address.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: WinBox - Unable to Connect by MAC Address

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:13 am

I am unable to connect to my hAP ac3 with WinBox by MAC address.
In Wine on Linux, if that adapter does not have an IP address (any IP address will do, on any subnet), MAC winbox will not work.

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 am

My Ethernet adapter does have an IP address that it got from the ac3 by DHCP. Is there some other interface that you are referring to?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:47 am

My Ethernet adapter does have an IP address that it got from the ac3 by DHCP. Is there some other interface that you are referring to?
No, but usually if you are trying to use mac winbox it is because you can't connect to it with the IP.

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:49 am

I should have known better but GUFW was blocking this traffic. You'd think for someone who does this for a living would have turned off my personal firewall. I just started using GUFW on Linux recently so this hasn't ever been an issue for me in the past.

After digging into Wireshark, I see that the ac3 is broadcasting MNDP (UDP-5678) so that makes sense how WinBox wouldn't be able to discover neighbors with GUFW running. Easy enough to allow UDP-5678 through the GUFW firewall. Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future.
Last edited by mattchooness on Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:17 am

Allowing MNDP through GUFW is the easy part, but allowing MAC-Telnet...not so much. GUFW doesn't see this statefully as this communication is using L3 broadcasts and the source port on the Start Session packet is ephemeral. So the Acknowledgement, also a L3 broadcast, is now using that original ephemeral port as the destination port which is not allowed by GUFW. Each new MAC-Telnet session is going to have a new source port so it looks like your best bet is to just turn off GUFW for the duration of the MAC-Telnet session.

This is interesting stuff. I recommend anyone to fire up Wireshark and take a look at this packet flow. I've learned a ton about these two protocols tonight. Sometimes forgetting to turn a personal firewall off leads to a real deep learning opportunity.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:52 pm

No, but usually if you are trying to use mac winbox it is because you can't connect to it with the IP.
Say what? I never use the IP address unless its a remote device I am configuring. MAC all the way everyday.......

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:13 pm

Say what? I never use the IP address unless its a remote device I am configuring. MAC all the way everyday.......

As I started to write this comment, I was going to say that it seems like connecting by IP is more efficient because it's all unicast where connecting by MAC is broadcast. This is only true at L3. L2 is still unicast as it's not using the all F's broadcast MAC address. By that logic it seems like it doesn't really matter which way you connect as long as you are on the same L2 segment.

linuxmaster
just joined

Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:46 am

Hi there!
just open port 5678/udp:
sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --add-port=5678/udp
It helped me...