Community discussions

MikroTik App

cascom
Topic Author

Need 9 cAP ac Access Points in bridge mode.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:30 pm

I am using an RB4011GS as my router, internet works great wired and wireless on it.
Now I am hooking up at least 9 wireless access points that I want in bridge mode so the the router gives IP address to any and all devices that connect to the Wireless access points.
I will ba hardwiring each of my cAP ac wireless access points back to the router. I want each of them in bridge mode and to obtain an IP automatically from the router (or I can set manual IP if need be).
In the end, any device that joins to the network wirelessly via these cAP ac APs needs to get an IP assigned by the router, right now the cAP ac is giving the IP and the devices cannot see printers connected to the main router. Can anyone advise a quickset or configuration to do this?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need 9 cAP ac Access Points in bridge mode.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:58 pm

I don't know if there's a QuickSet mode for plain AP mode? In short, configuration can be very plain: create bridge and add all ether and wireless interfaces to it. Then configure DHCP client on bridge interface ... or set address manually. And that's it, no firewall, no routing, no nothing.

Sure you can make things much more complicated (and safe) by adding VLANs so that management access will be controlled by firewall in RB4011.

Another possibility (with the number of cAPs it's even sensible) is to run CAPsMAN on RB4011 and run cAPs in CAP mode ... this way you configure wireless stuff centrally on CAPsMAN device.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:11 pm

Looks like a capsman solution to me as well.
Much easier.
One config on router side, 9 times setting the ap as cap and done.

And now we wait for anav to say contrary :D

cascom
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:14 pm

Do you have a link to the best known method or configuration steps for capsman?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:16 pm

And now we wait for anav to say contrary :D

My middle paragraph is there as lead-in for @anav ;-)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 pm

You can start off by reading (and following) the manual: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... sMAN_setup

cascom
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:18 pm

You can start off by reading (and following) the manual: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... sMAN_setup
Is there only 1 cAP ac allowed per ethernet port?
Or can several cAP ac devices connect to a switch that is connected to the ethernet port with CAPS enabled?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:35 pm

Multiple caps per port are no issue.

cascom
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:36 pm

Multiple caps per port are no issue.
This is great, up and running now, quite painless too.
Will I be able to manage with remotewinbox too? Will I just use the Router to update firmware and monitor etc?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:53 pm

You can do both: use winbox to connect directly to CAPs ... and use router (CAPsMAN) to push software upgrades, monitor and manage wireless interfaces. Note that you can't manage wireless interface of CAP with direct winbox connection when CAP is managed by CAPsMAN.

Another note: make sure that connection between CAPsMAN and CAP devices is stable. If connection is not stable, then wireless interface on CAP can flap ...

cascom
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:18 am

You can do both: use winbox to connect directly to CAPs ... and use router (CAPsMAN) to push software upgrades, monitor and manage wireless interfaces. Note that you can't manage wireless interface of CAP with direct winbox connection when CAP is managed by CAPsMAN.

Another note: make sure that connection between CAPsMAN and CAP devices is stable. If connection is not stable, then wireless interface on CAP can flap ...
Well I spoke too soon, this is not going well. I thought it detected the cAP ac and configured it but it did not, it just renamed my router WiFi. The CAPSMAN is not seeing my cAP ac.
Noting in the registration table. I even hooked up laptop direct to the cAP ac and set it to CAP and still no detection.
I feel like I am close but maybe I don't understand where MAC addresses go or don't go?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:57 am

jajajajaja yes capsman=bang your head against the wall..............
At least review these two videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQ70m0DVYA&t=834s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmGAnb3mrQ&t=846s

If you want to provide multi SSIDs per AP, then yes vlans are a good way of doing this, but heck maybe capsman has a better way ............

Finally, I feel sorry for the OP buying crappy APs, I would have bought just as cheap TP LINK EAP245s which perform better than the capac and are more stable and yes are vlan capable.
They dont have capsman which I must admit if the capac was decent would be an attractive feature. I believe TP link has oneida but thats for discussion here.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:14 am

Once you set the caps to caps mode... The rest of the settings are done at the caps-man (usually the router).

Packed updates can be done by loading the new routerOS in your caps-manager and telling the caps to fetch. But you still need to update the firmware on the router boards. Which I end up doing with mac-telnet.

I can configure and deploy 9 caps from a router in no time.

I can select channels from the templates I made.

Rename the caps by radio so see exactly what radio each client is on.

Use ACLs to do all sorts of wild stuff. Like per device passwords. Signal level kicks. Etc etc etc.

What I can't do... Is keep 2.4 clients connected in noisy environments. Which results in some devices getting kicked off a lot. And other devices "appearing connected" but not actually passing traffic.

But I digress...