Community discussions

MikroTik App

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

FEATURE REQUEST - Portable Winbox Databases

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:38 am

So i know that you can export/import winbox databases. This is not that. There are a few aspects of the idea:

1) Define where the database lives - this allows a central filesystem location that we can sync with things like Dropbox, Onedrive, Nextcloud etc - This woul dbe good so I can add a router on my workstation and next time I take my laptop out it automatically has that router in my managed list.
2) Able to load multiple database files - for instance on start-up have winbox looking at user defined folder instead of a file, and let the user choose between which database to load. Not as useful but could be good to keep databases between companies for someone like an MSP, and again allows sharing of just the relevant file from a central sync location.
3) Have 'Group' column with 'Show Categories' group by the WHOLE column as unique, not first character, this allows for better grouping when you have clients with the same first letter.

I believe these are just some fairly quick and easy quality of life improvements for next winbox. Please add your +1's below if you'd like to see any of these implemented!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Portable Winbox Databases

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:01 am

You can set database location by creating file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox\path containing "X:\path\to\Addresses.cdb" and C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox\sessionpath containing "X:\path\to\sessions". The latter can be also set from WinBox (Tools->Move Sessions Filter...). I don't remember where I got the former from.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:15 am

Yes, you can already do all of the above from the Winbox loader

File -> Save As
Tools -> Move sessions folder

You can even keep the folder on some dropbox and load it from multiple PCs

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:36 am

I can confirm this works perfectly. I synchronize my winbox and other stuff using Syncthing (p2p sync app) and it just makes life so much easier.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Yes, you can already do all of the above from the Winbox loader

File -> Save As
Tools -> Move sessions folder

Thats a fundamental difference to my request, that moves just the .viw files not the actual 'Managed' tab database which is what I'd like synced. I'll check out the reg key hack another poster added but it'd be nice to have native functionality to set the database file location (not just the .viw location).