Community discussions

MikroTik App

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac3 Block Diagram Discrepency

Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:01 pm

While studying the block diagram for the hAP ac3; I discovered two different block diagrams within the MikroTik site.

The first image is from the product section of www.mikrotik.com. The second image is from the MikroTik wiki page which I had to translate into English. They both basically say the same thing but the first image shows the QCA8327 switch chip as part of the IPQ-4019 SOC and the second one shows the switch chip as an independent chip. Which diagram is correct?

The long and short of it probably doesn't really matter as they both show the same 2Gb/s link between the switch chip and the processor. I'm more curious for accuracy sake.

hAP_ac3_Block_Diagram-0.png
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/RBD53 ... 210205.png

hAP_ac3_Block_Diagram-1.png
https://mikrotik.wiki/wiki/MikroTik_hAP ... 5HacD2HnD)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac3 Block Diagram Discrepency

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Quick-spec document of IPQ40x8/40x9 says that SoC includes "5GE L2/L3/L4 Switch Engine" ... but doesn't name it as QCA8327. There's a discrete element AR8327 (which seems to actually be a 7-port gigabit switch chip) and I guess that Qualcomm included the design in quite a few SoCs, so the functionality is more or less the same (not the bugs though). Not sure if QCA is official name for it or was it invented by some device vendor?

So I'd say that the QCA8327 on hAP ac3 is actually part of SoC.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:26 pm

All of the other devices with that chipset - hapac2/capac/wap ac show it as part of the SoC as well.

mattchooness
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:44 pm

Quick-spec document of IPQ40x8/40x9 says that SoC includes "5GE L2/L3/L4 Switch Engine" ... but doesn't name it as QCA8327. There's a discrete element AR8327 (which seems to actually be a 7-port gigabit switch chip) and I guess that Qualcomm included the design in quite a few SoCs, so the functionality is more or less the same (not the bugs though). Not sure if QCA is official name for it or was it invented by some device vendor?

So I'd say that the QCA8327 on hAP ac3 is actually part of SoC.

Based on this information I would have to agree that it seems like the the switch chip is integrated onto the SOC. Too bad they don't list this chip model number specifically. Thanks for the link.