Community discussions

MikroTik App

kyleh2946
just joined
Topic Author

NBN Australia

Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:17 am

Hey Guys, so I’m relatively new to the mikrotik world. However I’m currently with Aussie Broadband, connection type is dynamic IP using FTTN.
So I have a tp-link which is being used as a modem in the main house, supplying wifi to everyone else.
Where my setup is, I’m being fed internet via a Ubiquiti 5AC Loco from the house. The only issue is, over here I’ve used the router board etc and I’m looking to portforward 2 ports for my VM. And I cannot do that because the server and router board are on a completely different subnet.
Any suggestions as to what I should do? Buy a modem with a WAN port and bridge it to the mikrotik? Is there anyway without spending money?
Happy to buy a modem with WAN or the duxtel SFP VDSL card…. If it will work

Thanks guys

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: NBN Australia

Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:37 am

The VDSL SFP cards duxtel sells are NBN compatible (even with the new DLSAM firmware rollout I believe, you may need to manually flash it though)
Alternatively you could potentially run the TP-Link in bridge mode so it just does the demodulation and passes the L2 link through to an ethernet port on a routerboard to take on the WAN duties.

If the TP-Link is currently doing WAN, then you'd need to port forward in the TP-Link to your routerboard, then port forward in your routerboard to your server - this is assuming I've understood your network design enough. A diagram would help as your description is quite vague.

AussieBB also default to CGNAT so you'll also need to make sure you have a static public IP from them before you can do any external port forwards.