Community discussions

MikroTik App

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

I really need POE for this CRS312-4C+8XG-RM

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:29 pm

Anyone chance of this getting a POE++ power supply to feed my access points?

How about another questions... any one know of a POE midspan or something I could put in between this and Access Points?

My WiFI vendor is starting to put out units that need 2.5 or even 5Gig uplink ports.

Not looking to put some Sano/Engenius switch in my systems.
EnGenius Technologies ECS5512FP Cloud 10-Gig 8-Port PoE++ Switch 420W

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I really need POE for this CRS312-4C+8XG-RM

Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:13 pm

How many ports? How many watts? PoE++ (802.3bt) is 60W or 100W. Driving that much power, what use case? Might be cheaper to build a shelf with injector bricks for just what you need.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:58 am

Thanks for the links.

As I stated... Some of the new WAPs coming out will need the higher power and port speeds.

I didn't even think of POE Texas.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:44 am

glow

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:59 am

Another tech recommended Netgear.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MS510TXUP.aspx
Netgear also sells its slightly cheaper predecessor, the MS510TXPP.

Main difference is slower ports and a reduction of PoE power from 60W per port to 30W per port. UP is PoE++60 with 4x2.5, 4x10GbE, & 2xSFP+. PP is PoE+ with 4x1GbE, 2x2.5GbE, 2x5GbE, 1x10GbE, 1xSFP+. Otherwise, both end up being 10 port switches with internal non redundant power supplies.

I have the latter switch. It's mostly okay, with no serious complaints from me. Fan is a bit noisy and it does output some heat (especially for a switch). I am slowly migrating my network away from it and migrating my PoE devices where I can. Managed PoE is nice, but I've only ever used the management to reboot a failed device. Since I upgraded my primary wifi access point to a Ruckus H510 about a year ago, I've never had to do that.

Of course, with my luck, the moment I migrate away from a managed PoE switch, Ruckus' engineering will go down the tubes and I will miss managed PoE.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:28 pm

Another tech recommended Netgear.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MS510TXUP.aspx

Main difference is slower ports and a reduction of PoE power from 60W per port to 30W per port. UP is PoE++60 with 4x2.5, 4x10GbE, & 2xSFP+. PP is PoE+ with 4x1GbE, 2x2.5GbE, 2x5GbE, 1x10GbE, 1xSFP+. Otherwise, both end up being 10 port switches with internal non redundant power supplies.

I have the latter switch. It's mostly okay, with no serious complaints from me. Fan is a bit noisy and it does output some heat (especially for a switch). I am slowly migrating my network away from it and migrating my PoE devices where I can. Managed PoE is nice, but I've only ever used the management to reboot a failed device. Since I upgraded my primary wifi access point to a Ruckus H510 about a year ago, I've never had to do that.

Of course, with my luck, the moment I migrate away from a managed PoE switch, Ruckus' engineering will go down the tubes and I will miss managed PoE.
The H510 has been the problem solver for me for years now!
Man cave.
Back Office at the restaurant
Addition to the home where the wall used to be exterior
Under the desk in the bosses office
etc
etc
etc

However... I have run into a lot of connectivity issues with ALL THE FIRMWARES forward of 212 released November 2020.

As the change over to WiFi6 hardware has happened at Ruckus... when I get rid of my last 2 H510s... the H550 ain't gonna work with my TRIED TESTED AND TRUE firmware 212.

Hence why I have had to SERIOUSLY consider changing WIFI vendors, after over 10 years as my GOTO.

glow

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:09 pm

The H510 has been the problem solver for me for years now!
Man cave.
Back Office at the restaurant
Addition to the home where the wall used to be exterior
Under the desk in the bosses office
etc
etc
etc

However... I have run into a lot of connectivity issues with ALL THE FIRMWARES forward of 212 released November 2020.

As the change over to WiFi6 hardware has happened at Ruckus... when I get rid of my last 2 H510s... the H550 ain't gonna work with my TRIED TESTED AND TRUE firmware 212.

Hence why I have had to SERIOUSLY consider changing WIFI vendors, after over 10 years as my GOTO.
That is disappointing to hear. I only have one access point (and live in an extremely RF dense environment - near an airport, and there are 80+ wifi access points that I can see from my computer), and the H510 has worked the best out of 5+ different access points I have tested (cap ac, netgear wax214 [engenius ews357 rebrand], netgear generic ac from walmart, raspberry pi with hostapd, etc).

I'm currently experimenting with setting up my own access point with a collection of Mediatek WiFi 6 and 6E hardware, a SBC, hostapd, and Linux kernel 5.15+ (which sadly excludes my Raspberry Pi CM4 for now, though Raspberry Pi corp is experimenting with 5.15 at the moment; needs 5.15 for 6E support using my Mediatek cards - Mediatek and Qualcomm cards still support AP mode, unlike Intel cards. QCA has been drifting away from OSS drivers, while Mediatek has been getting better). I think I'll eventually just simplify it to a single card with 2 tri-band antennas, instead of my current 3 card, 8 antenna setup.

EDIT: I guess I've drifted from the topic of this thread. Thanks for your input on the H510's trajectory. Still using it for now, but I am trying to replace it sooner than later.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:53 am

The cAP AC in busy 2.4 areas have cost me thousands.

Had to replace them out of pocket and down have anything in the price range now. In 5Ghz... It gets by. But 2.4 only iot like devices were a disaster.

I am gonna get an UNWANTED up close view of the current Engenius. I have a deep seated disdain for that company.

UniF--k... I have to buy one of them each time the put out a new model. Just so I know everything that's gonna go wrong when another trade insists on putting them in my network.

Cambium XV2-2 was supposed to arrive Friday. Currently lost in UPS snow delays. Maybe I will get it in here tomorrow.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2022 2:45 pm

The XV2-2 has some DNS issues that need to be addressed. But they are back in box for now.

I did end up getting the Netgear MS510TXUP as I needed something. Not loving it.

Really wish Tik had a viable alternative.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:32 am

Got to use a CRS328-24P+S4-RM today... They have been out of stock for forever.

I am not as fast as I am on EdgeSwitches... But I have 10 years with EdgeSwitch. I could definitely get used to this platform.

After using the Netgear for a few days... Really don't enjoy it at all.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:14 am

i dont find very realistic the need for a 2.5gigabit ethernet for a single access-point in real world scenarios, in 95% of cases 1gigabit will be more than enough

off course in a green-field benchmark with special clients in ideal conditions maybe you can saturate a 1 gigabit uplink

but not with real usage

most 2.5 gigabit AP are compatible with 1 gigabit so you can deploy using 1 gigabit ethernet and when supply chain crisis passes you will have plenty of options to upgrade to 2.5 gigabit if you find it really useful

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:58 am

i dont find very realistic the need for a 2.5gigabit ethernet for a single access-point in real world scenarios, in 95% of cases 1gigabit will be more than enough

off course in a green-field benchmark with special clients in ideal conditions maybe you can saturate a 1 gigabit uplink

but not with real usage

most 2.5 gigabit AP are compatible with 1 gigabit so you can deploy using 1 gigabit ethernet and when supply chain crisis passes you will have plenty of options to upgrade to 2.5 gigabit if you find it really useful
Lecture Halls.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:58 pm

Got to use a CRS328-24P+S4-RM today ... They have been out of stock for forever ... could definitely get used to this platform.

Its a nice switch. I have five deployed at a multi-building client site and it seems to work well. Powering APs, RPi server, PBX, phones.