Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mattie
Topic Author

CAPsMAN: 5GHZ hidden SSID

Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:46 pm

I recently got a 'new' IOT device that had trouble connecting to my network. The manual suggested to temporary disable 5GHZ until the setup was completed. And so I did.
I have 2 provisionings enabled in my CAPsMAN, one for 2.4GHZ and one for 5GHZ. So I disabled the 5GHZ one, provisioned all my AP's. Now my IOT device worked fine. Reenabled the 5GHZ and did another provision but no 5GHZ network for me. When looking at one of the AP's it doesn't seem to know what SSID to use:

2.4GHZ works fine. I did not change anything in my config, just a disable->provision->enable->provision.

Any ideas?
/caps-man interface
add disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=64:D1:54:B4:6C:72 master-interface=none name=cap23 radio-mac=64:D1:54:B4:6C:72 radio-name=64D154B46C72
add disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=64:D1:54:BF:A3:D6 master-interface=none name=cap24 radio-mac=64:D1:54:BF:A3:D6 radio-name=64D154BFA3D6
add disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=64:D1:54:B4:6C:71 master-interface=none name=cap27 radio-mac=64:D1:54:B4:6C:71 radio-name=64D154B46C71
add disabled=no l2mtu=1600 mac-address=74:4D:28:B8:FE:1B master-interface=none name=cap28 radio-mac=74:4D:28:B8:FE:1B radio-name=744D28B8FE1B
/caps-man datapath
add bridge=bridge-local client-to-client-forwarding=yes local-forwarding=yes name=dp-bridge-local
add bridge=bridge-secure client-to-client-forwarding=no local-forwarding=no name=dp-bridge-secure
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk disable-pmkid=no encryption=aes-ccm name=my-ssid passphrase=xx
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk comment="xx" disable-pmkid=no encryption=aes-ccm name=my-other-ssid passphrase="xx"
/caps-man configuration
add channel.band=2ghz-g/n country=netherlands datapath=dp-bridge-local hide-ssid=no installation=indoor mode=ap name="my-ssid - 2.4GHZ" security=my-ssid ssid=my-ssid
add channel.band=5ghz-a/n/ac country=netherlands datapath=dp-bridge-local hide-ssid=no installation=indoor mode=ap name="my-ssid - 5GHZ" security=my-ssid ssid=my-ssid
add channel.band=5ghz-n/ac country=netherlands datapath=dp-bridge-secure installation=indoor mode=ap name="my-other-ssid - 5GHZ" security=my-other-ssid ssid=my-other-ssid
add channel.band=2ghz-g/n country=netherlands datapath=dp-bridge-secure installation=indoor mode=ap name="my-other-ssid - 2.4GHZ" security=my-other-ssid ssid=my-other-ssid
add channel.band=5ghz-n/ac country=netherlands datapath=dp-bridge-local installation=indoor mode=ap name=my-ssid-for-5ghz-only security=my-ssid ssid=my-ssid-for-5ghz-only
/caps-man manager
set enabled=yes package-path=/pub upgrade-policy=suggest-same-version
/caps-man manager interface
set [ find default=yes ] forbid=yes
add disabled=no interface=bridge-local
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=ac,an master-configuration="my-ssid - 5GHZ" slave-configurations="my-other-ssid - 5GHZ,my-ssid-for-5ghz-only"
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=g,gn master-configuration="my-ssid - 2.4GHZ" slave-configurations="my-other-ssid - 2.4GHZ"
RB4011 as the CAPsMAN
2x WAP AC
1x WAP (only 2.4GHZ)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsMAN: 5GHZ hidden SSID

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Normally changes are pretty automatic.
Sometimes I completely have to disable CAPSMAN and then enable again to get config changes transferred.
Even had to go as far as a reboot of the CAPSMAN router.

Tried those 2 options already ?

Mattie
Topic Author

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:03 pm

I did disable CAPsMAN and notices this left met with 4 devices:
[admin@xx] /caps-man interface> print
Flags: M - master, D - dynamic, B - bound, X - disabled, I - inactive, R - running 
 #      NAME                                                                    RADIO-MAC         MASTER-INTERFACE                                                                   
 0 M  I cap23                                                                   64:D1:54:B4:6C:72 none                                                                               
 1 M  I cap24                                                                   64:D1:54:BF:A3:D6 none                                                                               
 2 M  I cap27                                                                   64:D1:54:B4:6C:71 none                                                                               
 3 M  I cap28                                                                   74:4D:28:B8:FE:1B none    

When looking through the UI I notice that the state is 'running-ap'

So I removed these interfaces, reenabled CAPsMAN and I now notice that one of my WAPAC is now doing 5GHZ. I did reprovision the other one, 2.4GHZ was working instantly and after a couple of minutes the 5GHZ was active as well. Now I am still waiting on the 5GHZ of my RB4011 but hey this is progress!

I will give it a couple of more minutes and if it doesn't work i will power-cycle the router + all the APs to see if that does something.

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:48 pm

Have you checked that the waiting time on 5GHz is not due to the fact that your channel gets into the radar band ?
In such case AP takes longer, while verifying for radar presence, before enabling the AP.

Mattie
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:14 pm

Have you checked that the waiting time on 5GHz is not due to the fact that your channel gets into the radar band ?
In such case AP takes longer, while verifying for radar presence, before enabling the AP.
It is all set to AUTO so that could be possible. However I waited 24 hours before posting here and waiting for so long didn't fix the issue so while this may be the case for the 5 minutes I needed to wait I doesn't explain why it wasn't working before.

And just to be sure (as a small update) currently everything is working again after rebooting / reprovisioning etc