Community discussions

MikroTik App

mumbles202
Topic Author

Unable to Access MapLite

Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:43 am

I've had a Maplite that I use when i go onsite and need to have wireless w/o having to ask for the PSK for a new site. It's worked fine for a few years but haven't used it in some time since I haven't had the need to for a while. I saw the new update for RouterOS was out so that I'd upgrade. I plugged it in and see the SSID and can connect with the PSK I had previously setup, but not getting any dhcp. If i set a static ip on 192.168.88.x I can't ping 88.1 (though I don't recall if I changed this as I've rarely needed to do anything with it after I first set it up). I tried connected to the LAN port using WinBox but after a little research it appears that is disabled by default. Figured I would try a reset of the configuration but holding the reset button on the side seems to have no affect. I can hold it as long as I want (tried for various times from 10-60 seconds) but it still seems to load the same configuration. I know it's loading a configuration because my PSK works after reboot. I thought maybe I could use NetInstall but that didn't seem to work either. I connected my laptop to a switch and connected the Tik as well but never saw the device come up in NetInstall. Disabled all the other network interfaces, disabled the Windows Firewall, ran as admin. All with no change.

If i have to replace the unit it won't be the end of the world, just timeframe isn't great as i actually need it to work this coming week if possible. Anything else I can try?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unable to Access MapLite

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:10 pm

It looks like the reset button is not working. (Press before power is applied?).

You have wifi connection, with the PSK. Depending on the configuration the DHCP lease is given by either the connected upstream network or by the mAPLite. It looks like the upstream network did it, but is now missing.

There is a chance to get in with WinBox on MAC address. You have Windows so you can scan for Neighbors in WinBox. If the mAPLite appears you can connect selecting the MAC address in WinBox Neighbors. If your ethernet port is not set up as WAN you could use that as entrypoint. Alternative to WinBox, If you have another MT router, connect them via ethernet, and you could also scan there with "/IP neighbors" and connect via MAC Telnet.

If you have the USB powersupply PL7400 (USB power supply with powerline adaptor) that's another way in.

mumbles202
Topic Author

Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to use mac telnet after discovering a neighbor in WinBox but never came up in the list. I can put a Map 2n I have in front of it and see if that makes a difference.

Yes, I was hold the WPS reset before applying power. I tried passive PoE as well which powered it up but still had the same issues of not getting ip when connected to SSID.

Is there any indication with the lights when the unit is in the correct mode? I'll try a Win 7 laptop later to see if it's possible an issue with the laptop. When I power it on a few lights flash for a few, then only the power light stays on for about 20 seconds, then tye other lights start to come on.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:26 pm

You can try the MAC address printed on the sticker in the back (if you can still read it :-) )
Both can be tried the W01 and the E01.
The MAC discover is not needed for the MAC server to be working.

It takes several seconds before anything else appears besides PWR (starts with 3 LED's on, then only PWR for +- 15 sec)
As my WLAN connects to my home network, I get the wifi LED steady or blinking from time to time, ETH is only expected if I connect a cable

mumbles202
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:45 am

Gave this a try over Wifi, over Eth and from a different computer. About the same experience with all. Not going into any modes and wireless SSID comes up which validates it's just booting up.

Anyway to open the case without destroying the unit to see if there is a way to short it on there or gain access to it via any other means?

mumbles202
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 pm

Didn't realize how easy it was to open the unit until I just gave it a try. Reset instructions worked perfectly once I opened the case and hit the reset from inside. So once again I'm back in and can use the device!!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:31 pm

Didn't realize how easy it was to open the unit until I just gave it a try. Reset instructions worked perfectly once I opened the case and hit the reset from inside. So once again I'm back in and can use the device!!
Can you elaborate on the specifics for opening that device ?
I got one with a bust eth port. Wifi still works fine though.
So might have a peek inside to see if something can be done about that port.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:37 am

Nevermind.
Got it open using a thin screwdriver.