Community discussions

MikroTik App

microcat
just joined
Topic Author

Netmetal ac2 indoors (50 square meters)

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:20 pm

Dear sirs!

By the will of fate, I have a Netmetal ac2 + several HGO-antenna-OUT. It's so awesome, stylish and reliable that even though I understand its typical use cases, I would still like to use it indoors. At the same time, this living space has an area of ​​50 square meters and is divided into 3 parts by two concrete walls. There are several laptops and smartphones in this room. So this is overkill, but still:

1 - Can you please recommend me any antenna power settings or is it enough to use the default settings?

2 - Is this equipment harmful to the people who permanently reside in this residential area? The instructions only say that you should not be closer than 20 centimeters away. If you say I would no doubt prefer something like hap ac2.

P.S .: I am aware of the existence of devices such as, for example, hap ac3 or RB4011iGS + 5HacQ2HnD-IN, but netmetal ac2 is already in my hands.Currently I also have a map lite RBmAPL-2nD, but I wanted a dual band access point.

Thank you!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Netmetal ac2 indoors (50 square meters)

Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:30 pm

Antenna gain should be set to 3 for 2.4GHz and to 6 for the 5 GHz. (The real values of HGO antenna)

The emitted power will be limited to the EIRP level allowed by the regulatory domain, and as such will be very close to what you get from a hAP ac3.
The radiation pattern and strength is very similar. (the hAP ac3 has also 3 and 5.5 as antenna gain on 2 antenna)
The extra 4 to 5 dB in TX-power of the Netmetal ac2 will normally not be used, as I don't know regions where the EIRP goes above 30 dBm.
TX power will be (30-3-3) 24dBm for 2.4 GHz and (30-6-3) 21 dBm for 5 GHz for FCC (US like). hAP ac3 lacks some dB in the highest encodings (MCS7 in 2.4 and MCS9 in 5 GHz) to max out.
ETSI (Europe) has even lower limits. (20/23/27 dBm)