Community discussions

MikroTik App

rscott78
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP-pd for IPv6

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:50 pm

Hello,

I operate a small WISP. I'm looking at setting up IPV6. I have a block of IPV6 ::/40 from ARIN with BGP routing already configured and working.

My core router is an EdgeRouter from Ubiquiti, but it appears to not fully support DHCP-PD, so I'm looking at using my Mikrotik switch (CRS312) instead. The trick is that the switch needs to route it through the EdgeRouter, and I'm having a bit of a hard time with the configuration. My EdgeRouter is BGP-peered with my upstream provider to advertise my IPv6 /40.

Here's what I've attempted so far on the Mikrotik:
- Create pool of addresses. Prefix is `xxxx:xxxx::/40` (what ARIN assigned), with a prefix length of 48
- Create a DHCP server on the bridge interface using the pool
- Since I want to route it through the EdgeRouter, I assigned the EdgeRouter a static address of xxxx:xxxx:1000::
- I added a static route of ::/0 using a Gateway of "combo2-router" (the physical port where my EdgeRouter is plugged in) (the switch says this is unreachable)
I haven't setup a DHCP client anywhere yet. I wanted to first attempt to get a ping from the switch to the EdgeRouter working before I moved on beyond that point. I freely admit that I'm completely new at IPv6, so I could be going at this from the wrong angle. Open to suggestions/ideas.

Here's my network diagram: Image

https://snipboard.io/b8Fg25.jpg

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: DHCP-pd for IPv6

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 am

On the edgerouter set the router-advert for that interface to advertise as the default route. Then mikrotik will learn it automatically. You should be using the link local address for the default route, that may be why your having a problem, but first way is better solution.